Need help mounting mini-starter to lakewood bellhousing

-

dart360swinger

Boosted
Reaction score
Is this how the starter is supposed to mount in the Lakewood bellhousing? There is a bunch of slop in it. It's distance from the flywheel seems to be set by the 'cup' bolted inside the bellhousing but it can rotate almost a 1/4" with the bolt hole slop. Thanks in advance.

20200408_170737.jpg

20200408_170757.jpg

20200408_170716.jpg

Is this how the starter is supposed to mount in the Lakewood bellhousing? There is a bunch of slop in it. It's distance from the flywheel seems to be set by the 'cup' bolted inside the bellhousing but it can rotate almost a 1/4" with the bolt hole slop. Thanks in advance.

Yes, that is how mine is bolted on. It works great, but make sure you run a equal size ground cable between your starter and your negative battery lug too. You should be able to hear any alignment issues when it's engaged.

It's also important to check the bellhousing's alignment to the crankshaft AND to also check that the face of the bellhousing is square to the block.

Yes, that is how mine is bolted on. It works great, but make sure you run a equal size ground cable between your starter and your negative battery lug too. You should be able to hear any alignment issues when it's engaged.

It's also important to check the bellhousing's alignment to the crankshaft AND to also check that the face of the bellhousing is square to the block.

Thanks for the reply. I just finished centering the bellhousing with offset dowels. Any chance you have any pictures of yours installed?

Thanks for the reply. I just finished centering the bellhousing with offset dowels. Any chance you have any pictures of yours installed?

I will have to dig around for some. Did you also check to make sure the face that the transmission bolts to is parallel to the block/crank? I had to use some thin shim washers to square mine up.
Shims.JPG

Last edited:
My old lakewood I do not think has a bolt on cup, it is built in. Can u see engagement of gears, like old GM cars needed to see to shim starter. I was pissed when I found that some Dakota starters did not need the wire connector changed like I needed to do on my 1970 with a moparperf small starter

@dart360swinger
I think I can help you out on this... if you can help me haha. Where did you get the starter adapter piece? I spent the latter half of the day trying to monkey with the same setup. My bellhousing came with a reducing bushing to align the lower hole. Perhaps this would clear up the 1/4” slop down low. Mine seems to line up fine with the flywheel. I extended the bendix part or whatever and stuffed a bushing in there to keep it “engaged”. Seems to mate completely. I was just having a bear of a time trying to figure out why the bottom bolt hole wouldn’t make.
So, the reducing bushing that came with the starter goes in the top hole, with 7/16” bolt and I believe the one that came with the lakewood then goes in the bottom hole... now because I dont have the bolt relocation piece, I cannot confirm whether or not it goes in the block or the starter. I would say probably the block, as I don’t think it fits in the low hole of the starter.
E62939D3-1414-4492-B6EF-001E980FB90A.jpeg

I tested the starter the way it was and it turns over the engine without issue! With the 'cup' on the nose of the starter it's distance is set from the flywheel. Here is a video of it turning over and of the 'slop' issue.

@dart360swinger
I think I can help you out on this... if you can help me haha. Where did you get the starter adapter piece? I spent the latter half of the day trying to monkey with the same setup. My bellhousing came with a reducing bushing to align the lower hole. Perhaps this would clear up the 1/4” slop down low. Mine seems to line up fine with the flywheel. I extended the bendix part or whatever and stuffed a bushing in there to keep it “engaged”. Seems to mate completely. I was just having a bear of a time trying to figure out why the bottom bolt hole wouldn’t make.
So, the reducing bushing that came with the starter goes in the top hole, with 7/16” bolt and I believe the one that came with the lakewood then goes in the bottom hole... now because I dont have the bolt relocation piece, I cannot confirm whether or not it goes in the block or the starter. I would say probably the block, as I don’t think it fits in the low hole of the starter. View attachment 1715507190
I got this adapter kit with the bellhousing. I bought it all second hand but still new in the box.

Starteradapter.jpg

I was under the impression you didn't need that kit if you used the 143 flywheel. Seems strange to have to use an adapter kit for every flywheel.
never had that problem with older lakewood. mini bolted right in on my 340, works fine, used a 98 dakota v6 starter

was under the impression you didn't need that kit if you used the 143 flywheel. Seems strange to have to use an adapter kit for every flywheel.
You don't "have" to have one. But having it can make life a little easier!

-
Back