Need help planning 6.1 swap from 340 4spd

-

1970boy

Reaction score
My plan is to swap a 6.1 hemi as minimalistly as possible then when money is available do a front and rear end conversion with the RMS stuff, what all would I need to go from my 340/A833 to a 6.1/A833 and be running and driving. I was looking at some of the Mancini swap mounts have many of you used them to swap or do most people go tubular k member at the same time?

Ok. Here goes: Milodon pan and pickup tube, TTI engine mount brackets(Schumacker out of business?), TTI headers(or 2010-2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Manifolds), oil filter relocation kit, ATI conversion flexplate(for automatic trans.), and a known vendor for the electronics conversion. I prefer Hotwireauto.com. Simple, straight forward, competitively priced, plug and play(there are about six wires that need termination is all), so easy a caveman can do it. That should be about the minimum for parts. Now for the mods to the car: trim lower/outer steering column tube back(almost flush to firewall) for head/valve cover clearance, convert to manual steering(nothing clears the power box, exhaust or A/C compressor), Ditch the A/C compressor. I may have forgot something, someone may chime in with a different part. This is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM to get one in an A-body with facotory front suspension. When changing to a tubular front with colis and a rack, options for accessories opens up greatly.

Oh, a BIG forget on my part. A fuel system to support it. A bare minimum on that would be an external mount fuel pump, an LS fuel filter/regulator, and all the appropriate line and fittings.

One point missed is he is going 833 4 speed
Yep. Completely overlooked that. Rylis Productions has a flywheel. 10 1/2 Inch to fit in small block bellhousing. Which will bolt right up to the G3.

With the pan, I would get a new TTY bolt. Some say you don’t need it, but.....
Radiator hoses.
Radiator(depends)

Ok. Here goes: Milodon pan and pickup tube, TTI engine mount brackets(Schumacker out of business?), TTI headers(or 2010-2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Manifolds), oil filter relocation kit, ATI conversion flexplate(for automatic trans.), and a known vendor for the electronics conversion. I prefer Hotwireauto.com. Simple, straight forward, competitively priced, plug and play(there are about six wires that need termination is all), so easy a caveman can do it. That should be about the minimum for parts. Now for the mods to the car: trim lower/outer steering column tube back(almost flush to firewall) for head/valve cover clearance, convert to manual steering(nothing clears the power box, exhaust or A/C compressor), Ditch the A/C compressor. I may have forgot something, someone may chime in with a different part. This is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM to get one in an A-body with facotory front suspension. When changing to a tubular front with colis and a rack, options for accessories opens up greatly.
How would you compare the Hotwire harness vs the new terminator x stand-alone system? Also how would you go about it if you wanted to run the 6.1 carbed? Would it make it any bit easier or cheaper to get going?

I haven't priced the Terminator X. I'm sure it has features and tunability up the whazoo. More of a price tag, too I'm sure. You asked for minimal, that's why I suggested Hotwire. Uses a factory tune so you're up and running, like now. Maybe the Holley stuff is that, too? Idk. No experience with it. To go carbed, obviously you need an intake. Hood clearance an issue? Then you're really limited. Especially cost wise. Prefix, OCP, Edelbrock, Ritter, just to name a few. Do you have a suitable/useable carb? I have two G3 engines that are carb. One is a dedicated race engine, the other a true street deal. I went carb on the street because I had all the parts for the fuel system already. If you are literally starting from scratch on this, I would keep it fuelie. Especially with that 6.1 manifold. Then you have to still buy electronics to carb it. MSD Hemi 6 box is 500ish. The harness is 220ish. Carb manifold average price is around high 500 to low 600. Most of them are 575 plus.

You're looking at $1000+ to run a carb - as the previous poster added - that point it's not too bad to just keep the EFI thats already there and get the benefits of it.

I thought about running a sniper or fitech on my 6.1 but again, the cost. I ran a factory PCM style computer for a while but I am currently working on an MS3X to run it - for... future modifications.

I have <$800 into my MS3X and it'll run the entire engine with spark, fuel, allow for tuning and is not proprietary in any way - so it can always be expanded and modified for the future.

You're looking at $1000+ to run a carb - as the previous poster added - that point it's not too bad to just keep the EFI thats already there and get the benefits of it.

I thought about running a sniper or fitech on my 6.1 but again, the cost. I ran a factory PCM style computer for a while but I am currently working on an MS3X to run it - for... future modifications.

I have <$800 into my MS3X and it'll run the entire engine with spark, fuel, allow for tuning and is not proprietary in any way - so it can always be expanded and modified for the future.
I’ve been looking more at the ms3 gold box but also became aware of the terminator x setup which would you say is an easier setup to run? Also if I plan on running boost in the future would one be better than the other?

I’ve been looking more at the ms3 gold box but also became aware of the terminator x setup which would you say is an easier setup to run? Also if I plan on running boost in the future would one be better than the other?

Terminator X is self tuning - basically just hook everything up, punch a couple buttons on the initial setup, and away you go. It's for the chevy guys who like bolt on stuff (not that theres anything wrong with that)

the MS3 gold box is basically just an MS3X - in a fancy case and better connector than the DB37 - but functionally the same. The Gold Box requires you to tune as you go - they are set up to get the engine to fire but then you have to go from there... Now - that being said - you can tune your maps to exactly what you want and Tunerstudio does have a target function on tuning where you set the desired spark and fuel ratio targets and it will auto-adjust and tune to get there... a little more involved than the Holley system

I chose the MS3X because I wanted to learn something while I built my car, it's open source so I can expand on it as I see fit, and it is repairable if something happens. If there's a problem with the Holley you gotta send it back to them so they can fix their proprietary stuff.

Running boost - either system is capable of it - both can run on corn (E85) if you add a flex fuel sensor, and both are expandable -- Holley makes some cool stuff that works with their other cool stuff --- the MS3 can be made to work with other companies cool stuff - - it honesly comes down to preference. If you want a big name product that has millions of $$$ in R/D then go with the Holley and pay the price. If you're OK with a functionally the same thing with less pinash - the MS3 can do pretty much everything the Holley can.

-
Back