Need help. Roof rail weatherstrips

-

early A Bob

Reaction score
205A0FB7-37AD-445D-AF8B-FA5FEF370964.jpeg
I bought new roof rail weatherstrips for my 66 Barracuda. They are WAY longer than the chrome strips that they fit into. Not sure how these would fit ?

Bob, how do they compare to the original roof rail strips?

Kinda looks like you are missing or not showing a hard rail ,chrome or stainless piece that drops down to the vent window. Not a 66 guy though.

On 67-69 there is a stainless piece from the front base of the vent window up the A-Piller to the top intersection and then the strip across the top of the roof rail as you seem to show.

Last edited:
Don’t know. Removed them years ago & put car in storage while I did 3 others. Just now starting back on it

Gotchya. @RPM440+6 Richard might can help. He deals with seals and interior parts. I tagged him so maybe he'll chime in.

Kinda looks like you are missing or not showing a hard rail ,chrome or stainless piece that drops down to the vent window. Not a 66 guy though.

On 67-69 there is a stainless piece from the front base of the vent window up the A-Piller to the top intersection and then the strip across the top of the roof rail as you seem to show.
Don’t believe there is such a piece on the early A’s. There’s a rubber strip attached to the outside of the vent frame. It’s still there. I probably should replace it too.

66fyssh aka Terry will know for sure.

Here is the original still in place on my car. Hope this helps. Notice that the part that attaches to the A pillar is a separate piece from the rest of it. Seems you could leave it one piece and trim the excess where it ends at the rear window?
3B02B448-00BD-4476-BBA4-B66FD0530066.jpeg
41D5B6AC-6E18-41B4-8FA1-604253153AAB.jpeg

I have very limited knowledge of the early A-Body applications, but from looking at the pictures posted above, the seal that @early A Bob posted has the molded end to match up to the picture that @Moparman1967 pictured. If you look closely at a original profile or the reproduction profile, you will notice a shoulder that locks under the edges of the stainless trim. The molded tail appears to be simply glued in place where the end of the stainless trim blends into the A-pillar. The excess just tucks down into the C-pillar cavity.

For the 63 to 66 A-Body applications, they use an independent seal that seals the vent window frame to the A-pillar frame. The same configuration as the 62 to 65 B-Body applications. Metro rubber is the only manufacture of this piece to my knowledge, but there are dozens of vendors out there selling the piece. It will be part number ALP 27 and should be around $50 for a pair of them.

Hopes that this helps.

Moparmans picture does help. However it appears his car is a sedan & ofcourse the Barracuda is a hardtop. I’ll look closer at it tomorrow

Moparmans picture does help. However it appears his car is a sedan & ofcourse the Barracuda is a hardtop. I’ll look closer at it tomorrow
Mine is a 66 Barracuda as well. I just wanted to show how the ends of the seal terminated on both ends. Sorry for the confusion. It’s just like your car though. A hardtop.

88B16180-8EAF-401D-BADB-ED528F161597.jpeg

-
Back