Need help to ID my 8 3/4 rear.

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
I need a little help, I am still checking the car out and I'm in the discovery phase with my new Dart. I took some measurements today and did a little investigating. I think the rear end is an 8 3/4 out of an A-body. I measured from the surface of the drum to the leafs, I came up with 5 7/8". I was not able to measure the total width since it was just me in the garage and my arms are not that long. Does anyone know if this is an A-body rear. The guy I bought it from told me it was from a Valiant, but I thought that Valiants did not come with 8 3/4.

Not sure but I didn't think the lower buck Valiant's came with 8-3/4's either but how you tell if it's an 8-3/4 is the center section drops out the front so there is no rear cover. The 8-1/4 and 7-1/4 have back covers that allow the carrier to drop out the rear.

I did some measuring, the face of the drums, where the wheels bolt to, are exactly centerted in the wheel wells. 5 7/8" to the back, 5 7/8 to the wheel well lip. So, I am guessing it should be an A-body 8 3/4 rear, right?

You'd should check the center to center distances on the spring saddles, should be 43 inches. The overall axle width is something close to 57 inches drum to drum. Those are the stock widths.

go to the tech section and look under "rear end i.d. guide" this will help.

Technically a Duster is a Valiant. Plus I'll bet that Plymouth had a heavy duty rear end package for say a Valiant that was a government car. They didn't make 4dr Swingers so if you bought a V8 Valiant 4dr sedan I would bet you could get an 8 3/4, especially if it had a manual trans.

I would say that you have an A body rear end. The spring perches are 43", the leaf springs will add about 1.25" per side x 2 sides = 2.50".
43 + 2.5 = 45.5".

The backing plates are 57" wide on the inside.
57 - 45.5 = 11.5.

11.5 divided by 2 = 5.75" from outside of the spring to backing plate

340mopar said:
Technically a Duster is a Valiant. Plus I'll bet that Plymouth had a heavy duty rear end package for say a Valiant that was a government car. They didn't make 4dr Swingers so if you bought a V8 Valiant 4dr sedan I would bet you could get an 8 3/4, especially if it had a manual trans.

I would say that you have an A body rear end. The spring perches are 43", the leaf springs will add about 1.25" per side x 2 sides = 2.50".
43 + 2.5 = 45.5".

The backing plates are 57" wide on the inside.
57 - 45.5 = 11.5.

11.5 divided by 2 = 5.75" from outside of the spring to backing plate

Dam, you is smart wit all doze Gazintas!

It just dawned on me if you have the 4" bolt circle pattern on the axles it is an a body rear since only a body 8 3/4 rears had that pattern. Man, I took the long way around with the measurement thing when the easier path was the bolt pattern... duh! LOL

Chuck

-
Back