Need Help W/ I.D.

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a '82 D-150 Pickup and I'm trying to figure what it's worth. I want it for the drive line (for my 74 Dart Sport), intending to junk the shell. It was hit hard on the passenger door.
I haven't driven it yet, but it supposedly was driven daily and has been used a couple times since the accident for moving stuff. It's been for sale for a couple years.
It has a 360 w/ a Holley, Torker II, Unilite, Hedmans, 3" Flowmasters, Holley track pump w/ reg, and what the owner tells me "is a mild cam and BIG heads". Some how, I have to pull a head, and see the bearings, I think to give it a value.
It has a 727 w/ 3500 stall and a reverse valve body, ratchet shifter and a cooler.
Has an electric fan, and I'm going to measure the rad to see if it wiil fit my Dart. Full set of 2 5/8 Autometer's inc. speedo and tach.
15 gallon fuel cell, aluminum tubs, 9" Ford w/ 4.63(?) gears. Checking to see if it's spool or what. S&W ladder w/ coilovers. Probably sell the ladder set-up and use Cal Tracs.
Weld wheels. The rears are "pro street" size and the tires are huge. (Not my taste, I'd sell them.)
How do I I.D. the engine to see what it is? I used to know years ago, but I haven't played w/ these for 20 years. If it's a 340, I'll sell it for a resto project and build something else, hopefully a 408.
Would the front brakes help me any? I have to see if they're disc or drum. I have 9" on my 6 cyl. car now. The Ford rear has what appear to be 11"
drums.
It's been for sale for a while, he wants $3500. To make an offer, I have to know more about the engine and trans.
Whaddya think?

Take a mirror on a stick or an extension and below the header and above the starter there will be #'s cast on the side of the block. Is the motor original to the truck? If so there will be an emissions tag that will give the liter capacity. You're looking for a 5.9 ltr. $3500 sounds a little high unless he can produce some reciepts on the build done by a reputable shop. Then was it stored correctly? I'd have to look it over close before i'd give $2000 for it. Does it run? I'd doubt it's a 340 but if so and you want to move it let me know.
Small Block

I've only spoken to the owner on the phone. I'm trying to meet w/him Memorial day weekend. It runs, supposedly very well. I'll check the block numbers, thank you for the location and mirror method. -You have first shot if it's a 340.
He bought it complete and didn't do anything but maintain it (and wreck it #-o). He doesn't seem to know much about the motor, which is my bargining chip. I have to assume it's a stock 360 w/a cam unless he let's me look inside. I want to find out if the previous-to-him owner built it and what he told him about it. It's been outside. It looks like it was a nice pro street type truck. All yellow, yellow block, upholstery done to match. Gauges in a custom dash panel.
The rear measures 49", my Dart's 7 1/4 is 52 (backing plate to backing plate). That would be a good fit, I think.
The radiator measures out good.
If he agree's that I can't buy it w/o knowing what the motor is, maybe we can strike a deal.
My UPS man is bringing me a new camera, the old one didn't seem to like being dropped on the ceramic tile floor. I'll post some pics when I get it.
I can always sell the front clip, left door and the bed to help offset the purchase price. (In addition to the fuel cell, wheel tubs, big tire/wheel combo, headers, ladder bar suspension and odds and ends.)
The front brakes are discs'. I don't know if they are original. I'd like to see if they, or parts of them, would work on my Dart.
The VIN says it was a 318 originally.-- 1B7FD14P6CS252193
The gauges, shifter, fuel pump/reg, d-loop, front Welds and tires, 3" Flowmasters, Holley, Unilte, etc, would all be usable on my Dart.
Thanks

My camera is supposed to show up tomorrow. I hope I can figure out how to post pics. I'm just a points and carb kind of guy...
Stopping today to look at the engine numbers.

The numbers on the block above the starter appear to be: 4009830 360-2
Is that first part a date code?

No on the date code. Go to the other side of the block (pass side) and look on the side toward the front behind the motor mount area and there you will find the date code cast into the block like the other side. It will look something like this
2-26-72. That is what your looking for. Disregard the date i pluged in. Those are just numbers that i woke up with this morning. May have been my old girlfriend. Lite on the top and HEAVY on the bottom LOL

Thanks, Smallblock. When my camera shows up, I'll get some pics while looking for the date.
I have a perfect "10" for a wife. Her numbers might be a bit heavy :toothy7:, but she knows I need my Mopars to remain sane and understands that it makes her life better when I have "greasy car parts all over".

Speaking w/ the guy who owns it now, he said he bought it from a guy from Millville, NJ. (South Jersey). He was also the builder. It's a LONG SHOT, but, anybody remember this truck? If I could speak with the builder, I can find out more about the engine and trans.
Still no camera... arrggh.

I'm still waiting for my camera!
Any good websites to get head casting #'s? When I look at the truck, I want to know what the heads are.
I going to call the seller and ask more about the builder. Maybe I can get a name.

Has to be one of the best web sites around,mrmopartech

Looks good. I've added it to my favorites. Thanks.

I got my camera the other day. I've been too busy to try posting pics. I just spent 20 minutes not-understanding how. Too much lingo I don't understand. Sorry, it's a pretty cool truck. Wish you all could see it.

I've figured out how to email pics. Any volunteers to post them for me if I emailed them? They're in Kodak Easyshare. I don't know if that's good or bad as far as posting them. PM me if interested. Thanks.

I've figured out how to email pics. Any volunteers to post them for me if I emailed them? They're in Kodak Easyshare. I don't know if that's good or bad as far as posting them. PM me if interested. Thanks.

That's what I use and I don't know how to post them either so ?????????

Here are pics...
1501.jpg

15110.jpg

15111.jpg

1512.jpg

1513.jpg

1514.jpg

1515.jpg

1516.jpg

1517.jpg

1518.jpg

Looks like power lost and a tree (pole?) won. :(
Hell, ya' oughta' just re-cab the truck and go have fun.
WAY cheaper than the way you're trying to go, and just as much fun.

Looks like someone did a lot of very nice work on that truck, be a shame to waste all that effort over a simple to change part like a cab.

Mark.

Thank you very much for helping me, Abodywantedinmi!! I hope I can re-pay the favor sometime!
It was a rain-alcohol-power mixture that put this truck into the pole.
I'm not a truck or pro street guy, or I might fix it. The frame isn't bent.
I did buy it over Memorial Weekend. -$3200- My Dart Sport project will use a lot of the stuff, I'll try to sell what's left.
I got it running good yesterday. It needed some idle circuit work. The owner didn't know much about the motor, but it idles at 1200 with 7" of vacuum. A compression test showed 155-160#. I want to get it on the stand and see what's inside besides the roller rockers, valve springs and retainers that I can see. The heads are 915's.

Thank you very much for helping me, Abodywantedinmi!! I hope I can re-pay the favor sometime!
It was a rain-alcohol-power mixture that put this truck into the pole.
I'm not a truck or pro street guy, or I might fix it. The frame isn't bent.
I did buy it over Memorial Weekend. -$3200- My Dart Sport project will use a lot of the stuff, I'll try to sell what's left.
I got it running good yesterday. It needed some idle circuit work. The owner didn't know much about the motor, but it idles at 1200 with 7" of vacuum. A compression test showed 155-160#. I want to get it on the stand and see what's inside besides the roller rockers, valve springs and retainers that I can see. The heads are 915's.

You're welcome. Really wish I could've gotten the pics to be larger, didn't have a chance to resize them. At least they seem to get your questions answered!

I checked the rear ratio today. It seems to be a 4.10, not the 4.63's(?) the previous owner claimed. It has 10" brakes, which is ok cuz they're lighter than the 11's I thought it had.
The axles are aftermarket, but I don't know what brand. There's no I.D. on the end. When I disassemble the rear, I'll look for a brand name and, look to see if it's a spool or a Sure Grip (Ford calls them "Limited Slip", maybe?)
I scribed a line on the balancer at 35*. I'm going to put new plugs in it, then see where the timing is. I may also need to drill another .001" out of the idle feed restrictions. Depends on how the timing is. Previously, I opened them .002", and it went from not idling, to idling pretty solid.
I'm just fiddling w/ it. When it's running right, I'm going to look inside and see what it's got.
I want to get the whole truck apart and get rid of it. I have too much stuff around!

-
Back