need help with 7.25 rear differential fix

-

catjuggler

Reaction score
I have a 1973 duster with the 7.25 rear differential. the one with the nine bolt holes. i busted the spider gears and the carrier doing a burnout. I cant find any carriers that will work with the 7.25 diff with the 9 bolt diff cover and 27 splines. i need help finding a carrier that will work with the setup i have or i need to find a new rear end. lol which im also having troubles finding. im still pretty new to working on cars so i dont know the best and cheapest way of solving this problem. any suggestions would be great.

Will these help?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-74-MOPAR-7-1-4-DIFFERENTIAL-SIDE-GEAR-w-o-SURE-GRIP-2404194-NEW-OLD-STOCK-OE-/351034150034?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bb440c92&vxp=mtr"]66 74 Mopar 7 1 4" Differential Side Gear w O Sure Grip 2404194 New Old Stock OE | eBay[/ame]

I have one coming out of my 71 Demon - that WAS from a 73 Dart.. has BBP and parts will not interchange with a SBP 7.25 but it looks to have been rebuilt at one point - has timken bearings and clean gear lube in it- I am pulling the brakes off it for my 8 3/4 PM me if you're interested in it - I'm willing to ship it..

Here's what I would suggest, just go to the 8 3/4 and be done. Since you have a Duster, a 68 to 70 B body rear will fit without a bunch of mods. You can bolt it in by pulling the springs out a half inch, but I recommend moving the perches in 1/2 inch on each side (be sure to keep proper pinion angle).

The 68 to 70 B body rear is only about an inch and a half longer on each side, and stock wheels will fit without sticking out. If you have/want wider wheels then a 5 1/2 inch backspace is about right to keep them in the well. I have the same rear in my 74 Dart Sport and it's perfect.

B body rears can generally be had for a bit less than an A body 8 3/4, easier to come by too.

I second the 8 1/4, however if you have your heart set on fixing it why not just replace the spider gears. If I'm not mistaken changing the carrier is a real pain in the.... I think you have to pull the axles then spread the housing with a special tool so the shims on the side of the carrier go back in place, if you try and tap them in with a hammer they will break. I had a 360 and a 7.25. Broke 3 sets of spider gears. It's funny I never did get that "catostrofic" blown up rear end every one said. Although I wasn't running slicks either. It was a long time ago but I don't even think I had to remove the axles to change the spider gears. The last time it happened my dad told me to just buy a 8 3/4 and be done with it. He also said that the old demolition derby guys would "booger weld" the spider gears up. It's a cheap posi.

Thanks for the replys and information. At this point im just gonna fix it, but i think when i get my tax refund ill be throwing a 8 3/4 or 8 1/4 in. I found the carrier i needed thanks to whitepunkonnitro a member of this site. So glad this site is here and you people are supporting it.

-
Back