Need help with 72 Dodge demon door glass

-

DEMONIZED340

Demonized
Reaction score
Hello all!
Just a lil history first. When i bought my 1972 Dodge demon i noticed the d/s door glass was hitting / rubbing against the chrome on the rear pop out window when i would close the door. I could move the glass by hand horizontally back and forth quite a bit. So, i removed the door panel and seen 1 of the 4 plastic bushings / washer nuts that go thru the glass w/ the screw was missing. So, i replaced all of them, tightened up all 4 screws and the horizontal movement was gone. Now here are my issues:

The front of the door glass ( above mirror ) is NOT touching the weatherstripping which is allowing water to fill the floor boards when it rains. I bought brand new weatherstripping and have the same issue. Looking at the passenger side door glass i noticed that the glass is 3/16" forward of the cat whiskers on the door at the rear when rolled up. The d/s door glass is in line with the cat whiskers at the rear. This tells me that the d/s door glass needs to be pushed forward towards the mirror 3/16". The plastic bushings / nuts that goes through the glass w/ screws does not allow for any adjustment.

Is it possible that some part was replaced at one time is wrong? Is there a way to adjust horizontal movement of the door glass? ( i know of the vertical adjustment ) Is there a way to adjust the top of the glass to tilt inward to touch the weatherstripping? Also, i can grab the glass and pull up and get excessive non resistance movement, though the window rolls up and down w/ no problems, no skipping, stripped gears etc. FYI: I have already tried adjusting vertically thinking the window was not going up high enough, and the glass needs to move forward 3/16" to be in the correct placement compared to pass. door glass. Any help would be much appreciated!

likely you have the wrong side window. they changed the side glass at least three times from 70-76. pull the window out and compare it to the other side.

Thank you for the reply.
I just went and looked at the factory etchings on all 4 side windows.
The pass. side and both rears have DOT 18, and the D/S door glass has DOT 21.
Going by the difference in the DOT numbers, is it safe to say that the D/S door glass has been replaced with a wrong " style " glass? If the DOT numbers make no difference, am i comparing all angles / holes when it comes to size? Also, since they changed the door glass at least 3 times from 70 - 76, If i am to purchase another door glass off of someone on this forum, ebay, etc, what exactly do i look for or ask for so i dont end up w/ another incorrect door glass? Will wait for your reply before removing the glass and doing measurements.

likely you have the wrong side window. they changed the side glass at least three times from 70-76. pull the window out and compare it to the other side.

The shape of the window didn't change any, just how it was mounted to the regulator and the hardware underneath. If the window is actually attached to the regulator and track, its not the wrong window.

You can actually move the track that guides the window up and down. It doesn't move a lot, but if you loosen all spots where it attaches to the door you can probably move it 3/16".

The lower part of the Window is a different size comparing a early to 73 and up glass. Look on the amd body panel website, by looking at the part numbers of the glass at amd you should be able to determine what years are interchangeable. I tried making 72 glass fit a 70 and no go. 73 and up are completely different. Not sure about 71. There is a date code on the glass, this might help you figure it out too. I don't think the dot number is the date. Do a search for mopar date code glass and you should find what you need. Also make sure someone didn't change a whole door on you.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at AMD'S website. They are listing 70 - 72 demon / duster ( 6 hole ) door glass. The 73 - 74 has 5 holes and the 74 - 76 has 7 holes. I have had the door glass out before and know it has 6 holes. So, my door glass must be correct. As for loosening all the track bolts, the issue i have doing that is removing the " demon " logo on the door to get to the track bolt behind it. Anyone know how to remove the plastic demon logo on the inner door w/o breaking it?

-
Back