need help with 8 3/4 drum breaks

-

fitchett

Reaction score
I went to put breaks on my dart it has drums not sure what year the rear end is the kit didnt seem to b right for rearend and not sure what to do now

I'm no expert, but you are gonna need to post a little more info and perhaps add some pics of the hardware before anyone can offer any help.

If the 8 3/4 was not original on the car and you went to a "chain" parts store where they look everything up on the computer, my guess is that they sold you a rebuild kit that fits your model year but not the 8 3/4.

I'm not 100% certain, but 8 3/4 were small bolt pattern only and were not available after 72. Pretty sure that's true for darts but don't know about dusters demons etc.

First off is it the original rear in the car...if it is it will be small bolt pattern and prob 10" drums...they stopped 8 3/4 in a bodys in 72.If its large bolt pattern..5 on 4.5 it is not factory to the car..could be B,E body.You need to find out if it is 10 or 11" brakes and get the correct parts.Measure across the drum opening and measure the width of the contact area for the shoes...they made alot of different size drums..9",10",11"

First off is it the original rear in the car...if it is it will be small bolt pattern and prob 10" drums...they stopped 8 3/4 in a bodys in 72.If its large bolt pattern..5 on 4.5 it is not factory to the car..could be B,E body.
That or someone at some point swap out the axleshafts to go to the Big Bolt Pattern i.e. and aftermarket set of moser a body axleshafts with the BBP instead of the SBP.

-
Back