Need help with a fuel tank vent hose, '71 VG Valiant (Aussie car).

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I dropped the fuel tank in Bazza's '71 VG this past weekend and brought it home with me (the sending unit leaks). But I had forgotten that the fuel vent hose was cracked...

Does this look familiar to anyone, and if so, what would be the US equivalent (vent hose only)?
IMG_4955.JPG

Dimensions are 1/2" on the tank side, and 5/8" on the vent side:
IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

Currently it measures about 2-1/2" long, but Bazza seems to recall that he had to shorten it at some time in the past.

I have more pictures if anyone thinks it will help.

Thanks!

Jim

That's different from any U.S. A-body I've ever seen, but it looks very similar to the setup that Dakotas used... I believe the vent hose dimensions were the same as what you've got, but it's been a while.
Would have to trim to fit, but it may be workable. I would check the numbers with a local supplier and see if the I.D.s match up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374839736081?hash=item5746307711:g:gJ0AAOSwnFFisoA3&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0B6Q9R8e2kLierObNMp9soCoBcLMuApEtU3xbzePTORZ1ijbdAuTlN6Ff772eVQyDS0v/9zEoL7PZJRVP/1DvzGuIBhYNDFsC4JUaVe+er7AoVLcogEQZTxSNKyA/EEFktZyXEWsK+MdGhkPlC6jwqMCH6o7kNGfm5BqlTgVpH2hkc2oMf7O/fG/Vg9Jr+iVcd2mdGHxHy+IQfNPPGM/WTT7QVItr0dvW+MYqi7/hXNH9qXDJz/Uefp+bXFldfOC6wbb930XiYGP6gnJ8MTtxPY=|tkp:Bk9SR5K4pND2Yg

that hose above looks nice
these cars occasionally have the same problem with heater hose
different sizes each end and the fat end had a formed right angle elbow

presume this was to force you to buy the OEM hose with special profile rather than generic parts store hose, which is what i use. i just pull the drill chuck out of the lathe warm its taper with the hot air gun squirt the hose with WD 40 and ram the taper in and leave it for a day hose then fits..... no problem :) not sensible or clever but kinda works. don't try it with a socket getting it out can be hard work

the sending unit might be unique i.e it is probably VDO made under licence , and doesn't follow the same resistance as the US works on 12-14 volt but the design of the seal and mounting and lock ring is the same as US from what i can remember

there isn't a 5 volt regulator in an Aussie dash as far as i know mine is all 12 volt yours probably will be

that filler pipe seal is same as US as well

i just look up 67/68 dart/valiant/barracuda

my car has the vent from the tank plumbed into the fuel-in spout an inch or so down from the vented cap, as standard. design rules or standards must have changed in 71 which allowed them to get away with a cheaper set up.... can't run the gas pump at anything above 1/4 speed the thing just blows back all over your pants/ shoes...sounds like a step backwards was taken between your car and mine. my filler goes downwards 90* to the ground yours being a much more normal shaped car won't my rear end is closer to challenger than dart

dave

-
Back