Need help with crank identification

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Ok guys so I just last week picked up a late 1966 318 LA black (technically a 67) it came out of a 66 dodge coronet.

the block ID# is 2536030
build date was- 7/27/1966

here we go.....the crank that was in the engine had bad bearing wear and showed poor signs of machining.

So I have decided to go ahead and replace the crank with a new or remanufactured one.

here is what I am having trouble with.....I cannot find any casting numbers on the crank to cross referance to and I have searched the internet for about 2 hours now and all the information I find is confusing.....I am seeing part numbers for cast cranks,forged cranks,manual tranny cranks,automatic tranny cranks,318 cranks from 67-73,67-76,77-89,273 cranks that SOME share the same part number,340 cranks that SOME share the same part number.

so lets just say I am very confused lol.....is there anyone that can give me a sure fire answer on what crank I need and how they came to that conclusion? and is there any part number stamped in my crank that I am over looking?
and do any off you know of any places that have good deals on cranks?

I will most likely go to my local parts store or performance shop and purchase what I need.....not looking to go stroker or anything,just a stock replacement.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Ask your friendly machine shop, certain that they can get an early 340 or a truck crank.

The casting number (cast in not stamped) for that 318 crank should be either 2843868 or 2128869.

I ran across those numbers aswell but they showed as forged steel numbers where I have a cast crank.

Very confusing lol.... Of course it can't be as simple as finding the right air filter lol

being the age of it you could have a forged crank; I believe the old Polys wre all forged as well as the LA 318s that say "318-3" on the driver side above the starter. Actually the crank in a 318, will directly swap over from the polys to the Magnum.

The books that I have show that a 1967 318 crank is forged, what does the parting line look like? Post up some pics and someone will tell you for certain what you have.

I am pretty positive I do not have a forged crank.....I would say cast.

all the surfaces are rough like cast, it has a "casting seem" down the center of the weights.

I will try and get some pictures

How wide is the seam running down the middle? Cast cranks will have a larger seam while forged will be narrower. Can you post a pic for us?

Pretty positive mine is cast......I looked all over for part numbers on the crank and all I could find was one one of the weights it had the number 4 cast into it and on one of the others it had the number 20 cast into it.

I will try to get some pictures but its raining out right now so it may not be for a little bit until I can post.

Also if I remember correctly....none of my weights are rounded,there all squared off and it does not have a wide seem.....it has a a thin casted seem where it almost looks like the seem of a two part mold would have joined.

Ok so it looks like I have the wide seem? but at the same time it looks like my crank weights are squared off? the link you had sent was for a 440....does the same apply to small blocks? sorry for the pics guys but its the best I can do right now...I toss the crank in the back of my truck because I am only using it as a core on my new crank and it rained today.
what crank do I have? what crank do I need? any info would be great guys, thanks

DSCI0679.jpg

DSCI0678.jpg

DSCI0677.jpg

DSCI0676.jpg

DSCI0674.jpg

also,the cranks I am looking at to buy ......alot of them share some of the same part numbers......lets say I am buying a cast iron crank but in the "notes" section of the check out it says will work with part number 2128869 (which from what I gather is a forged part number)......but it also says will work with 2658278 (which from what I gather is a cast part number).

does that mean that the crank I am looking at buying will still work for my application?

also is it any lesser of a crank than I took out of it?

I will not be pushing 500hp or anything....it will be mostly stock other than a few bolt ons and a mild cam.

all help is appreciated ,thank you

How wide is the seam running down the middle? Cast cranks will have a larger seam while forged will be narrower. Can you post a pic for us?

Woops. Sorry DS. Too many Miller Lites this afternoon! Thanks for the correction.

if you guys go to this website http://kim_spure.tripod.com/A-Engine.htm#Crank and scroll down the the crank specifications section you will see where it says 67-73 ,318, cast iron crank,light duty and these part numbers 2658278, 2658393.

which makes me think it is a cast crank not a forged crank? but then again there is info that says with the seam being wider that it means its a forged crank......what the hell crank do I have lol? was it changed at some point to a forged crank? what crank do I need? what do you guys think? and do you think this info is correct?

..........Thats a forged crank in ur pics....it is a 318 crank.......340s have the 2 end throws drilled with a 1in hole 2 balance 4 the heavier pistons and rods.........kim........

ok thanks for that info.....but .....will a cast crank work? I see the new cast cranks sharing the same part numbers as the old cast and forged cranks.....so all should be the same fitment wise other than one was cast and one was forged.

I wont be losing any performance I wouldnt think? the only thing to gain out of the forged crank would be more durability at higher horse power and rpm but as I mentioned before this is only going to be a mild engine not an all out horse power machine.

is there anyway you could tell me what part number the crank I have pictured is ? so I can get a better cross referancing idea?

I have came up with a few answers but none of which are the same.

thanks again

Hey It's supper time all over North America. That is a forged crank like Kimmer said. Dimensionally there is no difference between the cast crank and forged crank so yes you can use a cast crank in that engine. Where the problem enters is that if you go to a cast crank it will probably be an external balanced unit whereas the forged crank is internally balanced. This means that if you choose to buy a cast crank you will also have to replace the vibration dampener, torque converter flex plate and possible even the torque converter with units that are meant to be used with a cast iron crank. See it ain't so easy.
What I would do is ask around for a reputable crank overhaul shop that maybe can repair your forged crank by turning down the main and rod journals and going with oversized bearings. Make sure they'll warranty the work to. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the crank.

Hey It's supper time all over North America. That is a forged crank like Kimmer said. Dimensionally there is no difference between the cast crank and forged crank so yes you can use a cast crank in that engine. Where the problem enters is that if you go to a cast crank it will probably be an external balanced unit whereas the forged crank is internally balanced. This means that if you choose to buy a cast crank you will also have to replace the vibration dampener, torque converter flex plate and possible even the torque converter with units that are meant to be used with a cast iron crank. See it ain't so easy.
What I would do is ask around for a reputable crank overhaul shop that maybe can repair your forged crank by turning down the main and rod journals and going with oversized bearings. Make sure they'll warranty the work to. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the crank.

no can do....not only are the bearing surfaces bad...it had bad machine work done to the crank in the past and the crank is nothing more tahn a paper weight...unless you cut the bad section out of the crank and replaced it with a section from a good one lol.

I went ahead and bought a new crank ,thanks anyhow guys

how do I know if the new crank is internally balanced or externally balanced?

...........A cast 318 crank is internally balanced, same as a forged 1.....no need 4 a different balancer or flex plate.....what is the part#...............kim........

...........A cast 318 crank is internally balanced, same as a forged 1.....no need 4 a different balancer or flex plate.....what is the part#...............kim........

Thank you for the info Kimmer.

I would just ask the machine shop but they proved to not know much of anything.

I ended up ordering the crank from my local parts store but all them guys knew how to do was click a few buttons, they didn't have many answers.
So I went ahead and ordered it and I will compare the 2 when it shows up.

I'll get back to you about the part number

-
Back