need help with dist. asap

-

70dusta

Reaction score
hey everyone i havent run my car in a while, and a while back i bought a new distributor gear ,so today i went to pull my dist. out, and the gear wasnt attached to the shaft as i thought it would be and was still in my motor. also the new gear wont fit on the shaft and the end of the shaft turns into a flat piece i have no idea wats goin on lol

If it's what I think your talking about the gear has a rod that comes out of the bottom and goes into your oil pump the gear is run off the back of the cam and the bottom of your dist. shaft that looks like a flathead screwdriver slips into the top of the gear. Shine a light into the hole and you will see where it goes. This is a smallblock we're talking about right?
I have gotten new "remanned" dist. that I had to file the flat part down just a little so it would fit into the top of the gear.

It kinda just drops right in. I use a magnet on a stick (local parts store for 4 bucks) and pull it right out. Just make note of the direction the slot is going for when you reinstall the new one.

Like this.

dist.jpg

yah thats how my distributor looks so i think i got it now thanks alot guys ill post with the results

Damn I like this site. yall jump all over it.:cheers:
Good Job.:toothy10:

haha yah i really appreciate it but i ran into another problem, i was pullin the gear out with long needle nose and when i got it to the top i hit the edge of the motor and fell back in and when i went to pull the fuckin thing out again it was jamned in any idea on why it is or what i can do about it thnx

Take the motor out, turn it upside down and shake it until the gear falls out. Couldn't resist. Maybe if you get a stiff piece of wire and bend a little hook on the end you can pull it out. Mike

update i got it out by taking off the intake manifold an gettin something under the gear im gunna put everything back 2morrow thanks everyone

-
Back