Need help with front sub frame swap

-

zoltan c

65Fish
Reaction score
I have to swap out the front sub frame on my 65 cuda. I found a 68 Valiant Signet 4 door car that has had the front suspension rebuilt and if the front frame rails are good I will pick it up. He is asking $800 and it's driveable. I think that the front sub frame should be the same length and width as my 65. If anyone can help it would be great.

I've been doing this to a '69 Valiant. Different frame, but same procedure. See this thread with lots of photos. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=15895

You have to drop everything in the front, engine, K-frame, Torsion bars, brakes, etc. Then you have to drill out all the spot welds along the frame and at the front radiator cradle, then the frame pretty much just drops out.

Make sure your body is level and straight first, supported by the rocker panels. Grind all the spot welds off to expose clean metal, then fit the new frame up underneath, position, align, measure, level, then weld in the drilled holes. Piece of cake!

I've seen the pictures of your great white brick project, it is what got me to think that I could also do that to my cuda. Great work!
I just don't know if the 68 Valiant frame will work for my 65 cuda. I will take some measurements of mine and go have a look at the 68. If anyone knows for sure one way or the other if this frame will work for me please let me know. I want to go have a look at the car today.

The '68 frame should be wider. It might be longer too? Not sure. I'd say NO, it won't work. You need an Early A-body frame. I was pretty skeptical about the whole operation at first, but now that it's done I realize it was the only option to save this car and it was only a few steps more than a crossmember replacement. ANYTHING is doable, you just gotta believe.

Too bad yu were not closer. I am getting ready to cut up a 66 Dart. it would have the correct frame for your car.

-
Back