need help with hooking up autometer gauges

-

71dustar

Reaction score
on the piece of paper that came with the gauges that tells you how to hook them up, it says i should put an inline 4amp fuse going to the positive Ignition terminal on back of the gauge. but for the lights do i need a fuse before connecting it to the battery?

Do you still have the original harness or fuse block in place? If so, you'll have the fuse protection you need by tapping into the existing wiring.

Dark Blue w/tracer = Ign-on, +12v

Dark Blue = Fuel sender

Violet = Temp Sender

Orange = Instrument Lights

Red = High Beam Indicator

Light Green = Left Turn Indicator

Tan = Right Turn Indicator

Black = Brake light (ground)

Gray = Oil Light (ground) or to sender

ya i still have original harness and everything so all i need to do is hook up the autometer gauges lights to the orange wire to illuminate them and the +ignition terminal on gauges to the dark blue w/ tracer wire?

That's right. You can remove the wires from the original cluster plug and splice. It would be better though to add connector's so you can easily disconnect the wires later. And be sure to connect the ground wires for the new gauges to a good ground - dash frame, pedal assembly, etc.

If you have a volt/ohm meter or test light it wouldn't be a bad idea to check each of those wires. The DkBlue w/tracer should have 12v when the key is in the run position, and the orange should have 12v when you turn the headlights on.

If you need any help, let me know. This could help out though:

wiring-diagram.jpg

-
Back