Need help with magnum 360 block 402/435 hp crate motor tech info

-

Blue Grey Duster

Reaction score
I was reading the advice that was given to the other post," need help with 360/380 hp crate motor tech info, so as not to hi-jack the thread I starteda new post.
Other post- Need Help on Magnum 360/380 hp Crate Motor Tech Info

I have the same cam in a small mopar magnum crate stroker motor. So what converter, gear and tire combo would you recommend for the street?
Here is some info. from an advertisement.
Brand:Mopar Performance
Manufacturer's Part Number:5153474
Part Type:Crate Engines
Product Line:Mopar Performance 402 C.I.D. Magnum 435 HP Crate Engines
Summit Racing Part Number:DCC-5153474

These Mopar Performance 402 c.i.d. have identical 4.00 in. bore and stroke dimensions. with 435 hp, and 457 tq at 4500 RPM. Magnum R/T cylinder heads with big stainless steel valves (2.02 in. intakes, 1.625 in. exhausts), heavy-duty valve springs, and 9.0:1 compression ratio. The intake is a tall, single-plane, single 4-barrel M1 type. stock, The camshaft is a hydraulic roller type, with a 0.501 in. intake lift and a 0.513 in. exhaust lift. Intake duration is 288 degrees; exhaust, 292 degrees.
230/235 @50 , 108 lobe
I don't know anything about cams and converters, and this is in a Duster, 727, tti step hedder, ( 3310 currently).
So what converter, gear and tire combo would you recommend for the street/ strip? Being a stroker, I'm limited to Rpm's and how does my torque effect the converter size?

Last edited:
My 380 hp create motor has a 2800 stall she goes decent even though I'm under geared with 2.96 which planing to swap in 3.91.

It's a little soft out of the hole but that's probably due to gearing than stall.
I say a 2800 probably work with your car to can't seeing going with too much less.

Thanks for the suggestion 273.
The reason I asked is because of the info. rumblefish was giving, for the 318, and mine is a 402 with a 4" stroke.
It may go better if I just PM you?
We could compare ignition stats also.
Being the cams intake duration is [email protected], that points to a approximate starting rpm of 2000. You should be looking at a stall converter of approximately 300-500rpm more as a min. You may want the move that up to 3000 because it is in a 318, 42 cubes down from where it came from.

Depends, how much street and how much strip? How fast you want to go at strip? How much money you have to spend on a good converter?

I have a nearly identical cam in my 5.9 junkyard magnum build. I'm running a 3.91 gear and 275/60/15 which is approx 28 inches tall. This is a good compromise for me since I still drive a lot on the street and so far it's been 7.77 in the 1/8th mile. That being said a lot of that 1/8th mile time is because I have an Ultimate converter that flashes at 4,000 RPM but also has excellent street manners, but also isn't cheap.

Thanks Walker ! It's good to hear from experience. If I remember right, you have some pretty good 60 ft. times. Thanks guys for helping.

Yeah that 7.77 run was a 1.64 60 ft. The car has always 60ft better than it should considering my ETs and MPH. Not sure why that is but I guess I shouldn't complain.... I think the 60ft is where most people struggle.

-
Back