Need help with valiant dog dish hubcaps

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Purchased set of valiant caps from member to change the look of my cuda along with steelies. Could not find info. of how the paint detail looked originally. Winged it with my resto. work on first one. Included before & after pics, anyone know if my detail work is correct for these caps.

Thanks
Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts 319.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 120
  • parts 320.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 154
I've seen them like that as well, but most you see are plain. Maybe all the paint wore off, I don't know, but I'd say do them however you like.

I did mine with the engine color for 66 (red) on one half, and on the blue side I used some touchup paint (Viper Blue) to match the body color. I then tried to pick up a little more of the red using the same color for my "Commando V8" emblems, and also using red colored shocks on the rear. I think it gives ait a little more personal touch, but no one has ever mentioned it, not even my wife, and it's her car!!! Go figure!! Good luck with your project, Geof

It looks great!!! I also have never seen the middle painted-- just the black outer ring.

I have some Dodge style ones if you want to practice on them also , Lawrence!!

Thanks Lawrence. Wheels i picked up from you are going to work great. Think i'm just going to do all the caps like this. They look great IMHO on the steelies. Now i need to figure out tire size front & back.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts 321.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 103
  • parts 322.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 83
I know for certain that most came from the factory without paint but others came detailed. Have not been able to certify why or find a pattern but it might be different factories. Maybe cars built at a certain factory got them painted?

I really like your take on them and thought about doing the same when I did mine earlier this year. But I allready had two in very good original paint and felt I had to do two more the same way. The ones in the picture of the car have original paint. The whole center painted black with red and blue wings. And all the small squares around the edge also black. A real pain to detail..

I run '67 caps on my '65 wagon, just like them better. Easier to detail but they also took a while to do. It's running on 14x5,5" wheels, looks like that's what you have to.

Attachments

• Dogdish.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Dogdish 005.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 81
  • Testtur1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Dogdish 008.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Dogdish 006.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Dogdish 003.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Wagon01.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for examples Rocket. Very cool cars. Like the all black center section. Yes, they are a pain to detail but think look is worth it. Will be running 14 x 5.5's front & 14 x 7's rear.

Oldschoolcuda

-
Back