Need help with value

-

poppin_fresh

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and need a little help.

I have finally come to the realization that the 68' Barracuda fastback I've been sitting on will never get finished. It has been sitting under my dads pole barn, partially disassembled (complete front end strip) for the last 12 years. It appears to have held up ok, but it will certainly be a project to be put back together.

I realize I'm not sitting on a gold mine, but I dont want to give it away either. Can anyone give me an approximate value range to ask? Here are some details I can remember:

1968 Fastback
88k miles IIRC
318ci - removed, but needs rebuild
904 Tourqueflight
Power steering
I have power front disc swap parts from 70's car
new sway bar and mounting parts
new Formula S torsion bars

I wish I could finish it, but with small kids and no garage now, I need to face reality and let someone else tackle it.

thanks,
Jon

Many more factors will determine the value of your Barracuda. Any rust issues, like frame, quarters, fenders, floors... etc? Chrome trim pieces on these cars are hard to find, is it ALL there?... and condition. Build sheet?... Fender tag?... If you could post some pictures that will help a lot.

I am not sure if I had the fender tag or not, but I have the built sheet although its a little tired looking.

I'm adding some photos. Hope it works.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2103.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2104.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2106.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2107.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 247
I forgot to add that the right rear quarter has a hole that someone had done a lousy bondo repair on. Other than that I think its solid.

The front fenders were also junk and the guy I bought it from gave me two fronts that are workable.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 234
To me, a lot of it is all about the rust, which includes frame rails/structural. Also, little things like the door latch pins being busted out of the body, the dash appears to have a hack job hole in it for an aftermarket radio.....stuff like that.

In my quicky opinion, I'd say you'd be lucky to get $3K......maybe more like $2250. The car may have a lot of good points like an un-fried interior under all that dust. You northeast guys usually have that goin' for you, plus it's a red interior.

It sure needs everything, doesn't it? But try to look at the good. That hood looks nice. Those are worth something. The engine bay and radiator support LOOK bad, but it looks like surface rust mostly. Still gonna have to be blasted to get it right. How's the floor pan and trunk pan? Frame rails solid? All the good will add up. It's a barracuda, so that's a big good right there.

wow; your going to need a mopar die hard to look at that and buy it; best thing you can do is wash it off and clean some of the stuff away from it

even then your going to have a tough sale because the front end was paint striped and everything is covered in a heavy layer of bad rust

advertise it for $2500 and hope it sells

It's a barracuda, so that's a big good right there.
AMEN BROTHER!! Having the build sheet is a huge bonus for someone who might want to completely restore the car (hopefully you can find the fender tag also), but I would lean more toward either a resto-mod or a drag car. A couple grand is probably all you should expect in that condition. Good luck.

Honestly, I'm a little refreshed to hear I might get a couple grand for it. I was figuring I would be lucky to get $500. I really wish I could have seen it through to completion, but it's just not in the cards and I just cant see keeping it until it is.

Jon

Honestly, I'm a little refreshed to hear I might get a couple grand for it. I was figuring I would be lucky to get $500. I really wish I could have seen it through to completion, but it's just not in the cards and I just cant see keeping it until it is.

Jon

At least your being realistic about it.....I think you should remain realistic in regards to the value as well. A while back I stumbled on a 64 or 5 Barracuda. Was in better shape than yours....was all there but some what apart. Was a v-8/pushbutton car, with original drive train present. I was ran thru the ringer by a few folks over it on here when I thought it was going to be worth 2k...I would hold off on thinking that you are going to get x amount of money for it until you try to unload it.....I would be willing to bet that if the situation were reversed and you were looking at this car the comments would be more along the lines of turn around and walk away......Just saying......Bottom line it is only worth what someone would be willing to pay for it....not a penny more. When I bought my 69 Dart it was a complete car, other than needing the lower quarters replaced rust free. Floors were perfect, frame rails were perfect. Grill was in real good shape, just needed to be buffed....I paid a grand for it....

Oh and if you're really serious about selling, put an afternoon's worth of labor into removing the seats and carpet. That way you can show off the good floor pans.......or the bad whichever the case. It will let buyers know you aren't trying to put something over.

Thanks everyone.

I guess the next thing I need to decide is the point in which I keep the car regardless of when I might get back to working on it. I'm not sure what I will do with it, but if I only get offered a couple hundred bucks I wont let it go. :)

Thanks everyone.

I guess the next thing I need to decide is the point in which I keep the car regardless of when I might get back to working on it. I'm not sure what I will do with it, but if I only get offered a couple hundred bucks I wont let it go. :)

If you get rid of it, it will be gone and you may never be able to buy another one.

If it has nice trunk moldings they will bring some good money as will the rear window trim if it is nice. That would be your $500 right there. I wouldn't be inclined to go under $2000 unless it is worse that what the pictures show since it is a Barracuda. There are plenty of vultures that would get this car and part it out for $4000 to $5000.

I paid $3000 for my 68 in drive able condition have put $4000 more in it in just parts and seem to have trouble getting $5500 for it now. I personally wouldn't give $2000 for your car after going through all this work on mine with negative return, but do think there are $2000 or more worth of parts there.

If the quarters and more importantly the cowl and A pillars are solid, it will be worth MUCH more than if they are not, because that makes the main difference between a restorable car and a car that needs parted out.

Parting it out you'd likely get more. I big on 2 this summer on ebay. Simillar condition but more complete. One was a FS car. I believe they went for 1500.

-
Back