Need help with window to roof wheather strip on 69 Dart 2dr Ht

-

dano

Evil Handy Man
Reaction score
So, I'm finally putting my GTS back together after 11 years, and I have new roof rail weather stripping and I need to see how the front door glass and 1/4 window and seal is supposed to line up with each other and the roof rail weather stripping when rolled up. Pics would be great! Thanks.

Anyone? still having a problem even after getting a factory manual, I can't get the 1/4 window and front window to line up and the seal to work without it overlaping too far and yes, I have tried adjusting both windows about 500 time and the result is the same.

OK, just tried to move the door forward, but it is as far as it can go, and still SOS.

those were a ***** on my '75 duster to figure out...seemed like thay could go 2 ways...

My next thought is to check out the glass to see if I have the wrong one or if one is just out of tolerance.

I am having the same problem on my 67 Dart. I can't seem to get the window to bite into the weather strip, it hardly touches at some points in the middle of the front window. I also have the factory manual. Have tilted the window in as far as I can and adjusted the door several times. My next move is to pull the chrome roof rail molding that the weatherstrip sits in and put a little more slot in the screw holes.

I am using repo weather strip from Year One. I have considered that perhaps the weather strip will go in another way, as was already pointed out. Let me add my voice to the plea for pictures, sure would help.

Brian

Brian, I do know that 67 doors are a little different than the 69. But I'm still pulling my hair out, I can get the quarter lined up with the door glass, they overlap too much and the 1/4 window seal pushes the door glass out. I too am using Year One seals, I think made by Soff Seal. I had the same issue you had on my passenger side door. I had to loosen the front wing window frame bolt and wing window parallel adjuster and loosen an allen head on the door that is accessable through a hole and lift the the glass and wing window up until it reached the seal then rechecked the parallel and tightened it all up. Here ar the pics of what I have so far, I've even disassimbled both sides of the quarter windows and complred all parts to make sure nothing is wrong
or the wrong part. I've installed all new rollers, no binds, just can't get the alignment right without overlap. Can someone verify that I have the correct quarter window seal?

Web PICT0015.jpg

Web PICT0017.jpg

Web PICT0019.jpg

Web PICT0020.jpg

Ok, I finally got it, if anyone comes across this in a search, PM me and I'll explain. Lets just say the book only cover half of what you need to know.

Dano,

Hey I just finished a 2 year resto on my 69 Swinger and let me tell you what..I spent an entire weekend aligning both of my rear qtr. windows to the door. Yeah you're right, the book gives you a vague at best description as to how to align the windows but thats about it. I finally figured out that I was making it way harder than it needed to be. The back corner of the glass is such a close fit to the roof rail that with the w/s in place it has to squash the w/s really hard in order to get the door window to line up straight with the qtr glass. I actually pulled out my roof rail w/s and then did all of my aligning and then put the w/s back in. The very front adjustment screw with the big nut on it it the one that will get you where you need to be. Then adjust the back adjuster to get your window to come up as evenly as you can before it tops out against the roof. Yeah Mopar had some strange engineering going on when they designed that setup! Now that mine are adjusted, I just leave them up. Its easier to roll the door glass up to meet the qtr than it is to roll the qtr. glass up to meet the door glass.

Good luck!

416stroker, thats what I had to do. How close to paralell did you get them? Mine are a little out on the top, I may try to bring them in closer.

Mine are real close. I managed to get them pretty good by working both the vent window front bolt and the bottom rear window track adjuster thats accessible from the bottom of the door. Needless to say it was a lot of move this one a little and then go back and move that one and then undo what I just did and well......you know the routine I'm sure. Real time consuming and frustrating to say the least. When I finally got the two windows both vertical and parallel although not 100 percent perfect, I quit at that point and called it good. On my car I discovered that when the body was built at the factory, my passenger side rear roof rail where the roof sail panel and the top were welded together, the overlapp of the two pieces at the weld spot which is right where the very back corner of the qtr glass has to come up and squish against the weatherstrip was just thick enough to cause me to run out of adjustment on the regulator before I had both glasses perfect. So once I determined that I wasn't going to get it any better, I stopped right there. My drivers side turned out really good, but that was the one I did last..of course. It took me hours of cussing and bad mouthin' 60s technology before I discovered the rear weld flaw. Hey...in those days close enough was good enough and I'm sure quality control was 2 words that most line workers never had to learn to know! LOL...

Ron

Man, I hear you, I figured since this was a cheap compact car for the era, perfect wasn't in the engineering or assembly lingo, I have it close, may go back in a couple days and try to get it closer, I have the doors set up perfect, I think I need to just fiddle a little more wit the quarters. I've had this car for over 11 years in the restoration stage and am really tired of looking at it and would like to drive it. I've only driven it about 100 miles, most of which was prior to the restoration. Lets just say I'd like to enjoy it for a change instead of staring at it and adding up the mony spent, and its still not done.........

I'm there with you guys, I pulled the windows out of my 66 vert this weekend and reinstalled them with new glass channel, weather strips, cat whiskers, qtr seals the whole shooten match. I did something that helped somewhat in getting the crap back together- I circled the position of the adjustment bolts etc with a sharpie. Then its a matter of putting the pieces back in more or less where the marks were. Even so - the windows were pretty out whack. For the rear qtr glass theres something close to 6 adjustment points on these things. jeessh. The service manual is pretty vague as to the adjustment procedure, so messing around with the adjusters is about the only way I found to get these things "in". Not sure if the hardtops would be any better. I got the drivers side almost perfect after futzing with it for a couple hours. Try and adjust one item at a time so you see what kind of effect it has, if it doesnt improve move it back to where it was and try another one. Have to wait until later this week to do the passenger side. If you figured out some sort of magic let me know. Regards-

I think the magic all went away after the 60's, man........... But, good point, my problem was is that someone (ie my dad) all ready had taken one side apart and broke the glass in the other. So, long story short, with all the new goodies, problems insue.
I did read the b body adjustment and it seemed to make more sence and is close to the same accept there is one more adjuster for them that is fixed on the A.

-
Back