Need input on my frankenstien /6 carb info

-

ManicMoparchanic

Reaction score
View attachment 1714559753Ok, have a 64 dart gt convertible. Factory slant, I had a 1976 head shaved 60, and valve seats cut for the big valves, factory cam, super six intake. The engine seems to starve at medium/hard acceleration, and 70ish mph cruising speed. Mild quick acceleration is great, and 50ish mph is great. Am using a factory 1978 2bbl car from a 318 atm. I was wondering if there was a better more cfm 2bbl that was a direct bolt on for intake. Had fun with carb linkage, floor pedal linkage 1969 chevy truck, a steel rod that attaches a table lamp together threaded to the carb arm snap on linkage. But, works perfect with cars original gas pedal.
Thanks for all, and any help!!

Attachments

• Dart4Abody.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 254
You might need to do some jetting, unsure how your carb works, but i have worked on a lot of webers and air and main jet changes work wonders on the top end.

Had the same problem when I rebuilt the carb on mine, the float was set too low(spec with kit) Friend said to set it higher than the spec and it cured all the driveablity problems.Just a thought.......

Your carb is off of a 78 318? Is it a carter bbd? I believe they don't have jets I believe they use metering rods instead. I could be wrong I haven't seen inside a bbd since around 1995.

Thanks for all the input, I believe I remedied the problem. I tried several different 2bbl, carters/holly rod...then out of frustration bolted on a 2 to 4bbl adapter I made years ago from a block of aluminum, bolted on a Holly 600 4bbl, and she runs, drives, accelerates beautifully, She is a little beast now, not a tire burner, but exceptional driver with some punch.

Attachments

• 4bbl engine forabody.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 161
That is a pretty engine. Honestly not trying to be mean, but your priorities are out of whack if you are wanting more power and you are still running single circuit brakes. You should install a dual reservior master cylinder and the required brake lines. You really don't want to experience what happens when single circuit systems fail.

Lol no offense taken, front disk, and duel master cylinder in the works. never trusted the single resevior. I was going with one needs to move in order to stop...lol
One Endeavors to persevere... :)
Now have a grand total of $1,600.00 in this car so far, plenty of room for improvement on this paupers pocket...lol
225+4, 4 speed hurst floor, Live long and Prosper `\V/ !

$1600 won't even come close to buying a trustworthy modern car. Good to hear about the brake upgrades. I didn't realize it was a four speed car as well. That is an uncommon combo, slant six with a four speed plus its a convetible.

What intake do you have? It looks like aluminum, but I didn't think they made a cast aluminum 2bbl. Is it just a cast iron intake with gray paint? It really is a pretty engine. I prefer the red, but it looks good bright (and clean) blue.

Super six cast iron intake painted with the cast iron gray engine paint after I sand blasted it. I went with Chrysler blue since the car is silver blue. When I pull the motor next year for paint/body work may go back with red on engine, will be a SPLASH of color with bonnet raised.
[ame]http://www.facebook.com/AtkinsonsCustomPaintandBody[/ame]

$1600 won't even come close to buying a trustworthy modern car. Good to hear about the brake upgrades. I didn't realize it was a four speed car as well. That is an uncommon combo, slant six with a four speed plus its a convetible.

What intake do you have? It looks like aluminum, but I didn't think they made a cast aluminum 2bbl. Is it just a cast iron intake with gray paint? It really is a pretty engine. I prefer the red, but it looks good bright (and clean) blue.

I have an aluminum 2bbl intake. From a newer year though, it has an EGR port.

-
Back