need leaf spring bushing removal advice

-
Air chisel the old bushings out... just like on an upper control arm bushing...

Here's a solution I used that wasn't mentioned yet.
I used a thin tapered chisel between the flat of the spring and where the eye end comes together and they fell out.
Did basically the same thing putting the new ones in.
This^^^^^^ Proof once again it really pays to be just a tiny bit smarter than the piece of steel your working on !

I like the hacksaw blade idea assuming you already have the hanger removed.
Cut it into pie slices....
The problem is that the rubber welds itself to the metal over time. That is why the torch works so well.

The hacksaw method seem to work best. I broke the threads off of the one leaf spring shackle and I need to see if I can weld part of a bolt onto the end of the shackle this morning.

I have a shackle without the plate and nut if you need it pay for the ride.

Shackles aren't made of unobtanium, don't piss around doctoring that thing up. If you go to harbor freight or such, get a ball joint press c-clamp tool, I drive out all kinds of ****
w/that kind of tool(I have pro brand stuff, but for all You'd use one those work fine)....frozen bolts that are broken/cut/burned off,bushings, certain u-joints, You have to be a
little creative sometimes! The adapter in the end of the forcing screw can be pulled out & a hardened bolt the right size inserted to force stubborn thru bolts out, just use an
appropriate support on the back side(tite as poss. to the head of the fastener),pipe, if it's a straight hex simply a socket as deep as You can fit....etc. .......

Mine were rusted solid to the bolt. Sawzalled both sided of the bolt inside the hanger to get it out(I ended up replacing front hangers) Then drilled the rubber and chissled the outer shell from the leaf.

Napa might have new Flag brand shackles in stock.... they are cheap.
Dont waste time trying to salvage old ones.

Already welded it and installed and got the car on the ground.

0122171342a.jpg

I made my own press out of a carriage bolt, pipe nipple and washers. It worked perfectly when I restored my a-arms, and I'll use again for the springs.
Stroker
This will work; I did it, but I used a threaded rod. Before that, I used the hacksaw method. Either will work fine

That's great for getting them out, but you can't hacksaw them back in.:D
LOL Truer words were never spoken!!

transpurple100.png

16.97 Rock Auto or Napa
( there is supposed to be a picture there of a new shackle)

it will get ugly if that weld breaks at any kind of speed

Try taking him to the nearest high school shop and talk to the shop teacher I'm sure he'll help you out

-
Back