Need Mopar Chrysler Tech Help

-

Grinder

Banned
Reaction score
My brother has a 2004 Dodge Stratus 2.4 L 4 cyl and long story short,it got oil starved and took out a piston,and cracked the cylinder head.He took it to a shop and got quoted about 3 grand all said and done for a used engine installed.

To me it sounds like too much to pay. The guy at the shop told him that the 2004 stratus is a one year only engine,and can only be swapped for another of the same vintage. I never heard that before,any truth to it? Is it not the same DOHC 2.4 used by mitsu and Chrysler for years?

I can get a complete low mileage 2.4 from an 04 for 750.Is this swap possible to do at home? Need any special tools?

I don't know if it's a one year only or not but there are differences between cars with the older style Powertrain Control Module and the newer style New Generation Controller. It involves the signals the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor send to the controller. I'm not sure which is which but they have a different window or tooth count. They can not be interchanged. You should call a local recycling yard as they have interchange books that should tell them what will fit in what of different years, and body styles.

I cannot say for sure if 04 is only year to fit but i work at a chrysler dealer and you have to remember 1 thing the same engine you can buy for 750 a dealers parts dept. probably pays 650 and marks it up at least 100% because a parts dept. would rather sell a reman mopar part than screw with dealing with a salvage yards used stuff! Also the warranty falls into play! as for labor end probably 16 to 18 hours at a dealer, and we get 95 an hour so you do the math! plus misc. fluids filter and gaskets etc. at home it can be done i would think by most anyone in a weekend if the used one is complete from top to bottom! just my 2 cents on this.... most in todays economy have more time than money. good luck

I have much more time than money. My brother knows nothing about cars, but will be an extra set of hands.

Thanks for the info guys. Here we go again...

I'm not sure if the motor can be pulled out the top, most all the 2.0 and 2.4 that I've seen pulled come out the bottom trans/motor together

I've seen 2.7 V6's come out the the top, I pull the SRT neons out the bottom but a 4 cyl Stratus I think I'd take out the top. What you have to watch is if you have enough room to slide the engine forward enough to clear the flex plate from the bell housing. That's if it's an automatic. If it's a stickshift forget that and either pull the tranny and engine together out the bottom or the top if you can. But you'll never pull it with the clutch and flywheel attatched.

Obviously I've never done a 4 cyl Stratus but have done 3 or 4 SRT Neons, I saw another tech pull a 2.7 out the top but the V6 is actually shorter than the 4 banger so look at it closely before you get your "you know what" caught in the ringer. The flex plate sticks out about an inch and half from the back of the block.

I just did an 06 caravan 2.4 last week, i took it out the top, hood off and wiper cowl removed plus all accesssory brackets had to be off as well as the crank pulley and it was a tight fit cause i left the exhaust manifold on coming out, left that off dropping it in was no problem. I also did an 06 pt cruiser and that on i dropped out the bottom with trans attached.
for all who care the 06 2.4 in anything is known for thrust play in crankshaft, and the crank knocks the front seal out causing what most customers come in and say they have an oil leak, next thing they know they are getting a short block!

-
Back