Need more power

-
Definitely use a steeper gear. 3.55 is a nice gear for racing and street use depending on if you drive on the street. But if it's for a race only car. Go for a higher gear mabye a 3.73 or something close. That way you won't run out of rpm before you cross the finish line.

Definitely use a steeper gear. 3.55 is a nice gear for racing and street use depending on if you drive on the street. But if it's for a race only car. Go for a higher gear mabye a 3.73 or something close. That way you won't run out of rpm before you cross the finish line.

I don't think he'd have a problem running out of rpm's with 3.55's. It would also be friendlier on the street than 3.73's (commonly a Chevy gear, right?) or 3.91's. I'm assuming it's not a race car since he has a highway geared 8 1/4 and an A-230. 3.55's would be a good choice for the street and at the strip.

Its fairly evident that you are more than a little concerned about cruising comfort.This may become your limiting factor. See in our Mopes we are kinda handicapped by not having a cheap readily available 5 speed. You may have to chose 12s over cruise rpm. Decide whats more important to you.
The only viable solution I see for you is the O/D gearset, a modest gear increase, and a wide powerband. It may not get you into the twelves NA, but it will be a good compromise. At your elevation, your combo may not be dual-purpose friendly
-BTW your engine pkg is very nearly the same as mine, which at under 1000ft easily gets into the 12s, with 4.30s. I have the GV o/d unit to pull my rs down for cruising, and as a DD I use 3.55s. The 2 chunk system isnt for everybody though.

Look in junkyards for a six-cylinder ("4.0L" or "4.0 High Output" on tailgate) Jeep Cherokee (not a Grand) with automatic transmission and WITHOUT anti-lock brakes. The rear end in that will USUALLY be an 8.25". The gears will be 3.54's...a few with the towing package or Up Country suspension had 3.73's. (But probably 95% didn't.)

Most square-body Dakotas (1987-96) also had the 8.25"...gears were usually 3.55's, sometimes 3.92's. (Underhood sticker should have gear ratio on it.) The early (1987-88) trucks without OD had super-tall (2.76, 2.94) gears.

I'm gonna give the 3.55s a try and see how they treat me. Thanks for the input

I actually just crawled under and ends up my rear is in the 3.23 range. Might be going 373 or 390 range instead

Is your engine already built?
Like 66fs says, the A-230 is very capable. But you will need all 3 gears to et.That means race gears. Which means, no more comfy cruising. Dual purpose is pretty much gone.
There is/are some options; A)The 2 chunk system, for the occasional dragracer,or B)More tranny gears.Use 3 for racing, and the fourth for cruising,or C)A 2-spd rearend,or D)An overdrive unit, or E)A bigger motor, or F) BOOST
Boost has the distinct advantage of not requiring any changes in the trans or rear gears.Comfy cruising is back.And you can down-size the cam for some mpgs. And 12s are easy with boost.But if you motor is already built, well then I guess Im not helping. I just want a turbo mine so bad.

if your already at 3.23, 3.55 will not make much difference. 3.73 or 3.91 for sure. As far as the engine i would go with a 750 cfm DP or vacuum sec carb. and try as hard as you can to get some sort of ram air setup to push air down that carb! make sure the timing is is all in as early as possible,

-
Back