Need New Fuel Sending Unit Recommendations

-

rob_robinson87

Reaction score
I have been scanning through the archives about fuel sending units and how several of the reproduction ones out there aren't the correct ohm rating and don't read correctly. However, I didn't see where anyone had actually found a source or brand for a good unit that DOES read correctly. Before I go and purchase a new 3/8" sender, I was hoping someone could tell me that brand/source of your correct operating unit. I may modify this new unit for an in-tank electric pump to help eliminate my fuel boiling/lean running situation I'm getting with my high flow mechanical fuel pump and 45 year old original fuel line. Of course any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm surprised that I haven't had any responses. No one has bought a new correct working sending unit? Maybe I shouldn't ask 3/8" only... I'll include 5/16" to hear the brands.

I used a 3/8 unit but I had to adjust the float level and used a new tank. honestly I didn't try it without adjusting it though. and my adjustment is off to my liking.

I added 4 gallons of water to a new 16 gallon tank with sender and checked the gauge and adjust to exactly 1/4 tank. I should have made it 1/8 tank as now it reads full for a long period then goes down rapidly when it hits E then it is empty, no reserve. Knowing that I never let it never go below 1/2 tank. I do not know of a perfectly set sender out the box.

I think the max you can go in the tank before it runs out the sender hole (lowest point) is 7 gallons. this is with a 67 cuda tank which is the same tank for most a-bodies... easy math to adjust

I used a 3/8 unit but I had to adjust the float level and used a new tank. honestly I didn't try it without adjusting it though. and my adjustment is off to my liking.

I added 4 gallons of water to a new 16 gallon tank with sender and checked the gauge and adjust to exactly 1/4 tank. I should have made it 1/8 tank as now it reads full for a long period then goes down rapidly when it hits E then it is empty, no reserve. Knowing that I never let it never go below 1/2 tank. I do not know of a perfectly set sender out the box.

I think the max you can go in the tank before it runs out the sender hole (lowest point) is 7 gallons. this is with a 67 cuda tank which is the same tank for most a-bodies... easy math to adjust

Yeah, that is the concern I am having. Sounds more like you also have an ohm issue (a sending unit that doesn't working correctly with mopar gauges) than an adjustment issue.

If I can't find a good quality replacement (I'll look into the one listed here and hear any other stories) then I may just customize my original one with the larger tube. It still reads correctly.

Thanks!!! Anyone else?

Yeah, after reading all of the horror stories about gauges not reading correctly I started looking around and found this guy. I called and spoke with him for probably close to a half hour and he assured me it would work.

After installing it I tend to agree when the gauge says empty I run out of gas (one time and in my yard, lol), if I put ten gallons in it reads 3/4 full, if I fill it, it reads full.

Maybe I got lucky.

-
Back