Need of Help(Converting a /6 car to a V8)

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
Ok, So I'm considering swapping engines, and I've got a '75 Duster with a /6 currently in it. So, what will I need to complete the conversion?

sorry for the slant sick comment. i am not too fond of these engines especially since the fact that to swap a V8 in place of the six mopar made more harder than GM or ford.

the easiest way is to use the schumacher services V8 conversion mounts to allow you to use your original K frame, otherwise you will need to locate and buy a V8 K frame and swap it in.

your tranny crossmember mount is the same either 6 or V8 so you will need to keep this part.

the 6 starter motor will fit small block V8

the smallblock V8 and big block V8 have a different bellhousing pattern for each of them, the 6 has its pattern own as well. your best bet is to find a complete engine and tranny combo still together to save you any headaches as far as the bellhousing pattern goes. you cannot use the 6 tranny behind a V8 it doesnt bolt up

also the 360 V8s from some years are externally balanced and use a balance weight welded to the torque converter. so if you go with a 360 you may want to try to buy one of these with the correct tranny still attached.

all your shifter linkage from the 6 tranny should swap to the V8 tranny, except the kick down linkage rod and hardware. this will need to come from a V8 tranny

i believe the spline count on the front sliding yoke on the driveshaft from the six as well as the driveshaft length will be also the same from the six to the V8

you will also need the V8 specific torsion bars as the engine weight from the 6 to the V8 is different.

theres other considerations as well. exhaust manifolds/headers. exhaust system, V8 throttle cable and linkage, larger radiator etc.

your best bet would be to find an A body 4 door dodge d'art, or valiant close to your year with a V8 as a complete car it will have everything you need to do a swap pretty painlessly.

i am currently redoing a 67 cuda coupe. i bought a complete 1974 dart V8 4 door parts car. this car gave me a 318, K frame, V8 torsion bars, large bolt pattern disc brakes, power booster for brakes, power steering, rust free floor pan, and rear tranny crossmember. the parts car cost me $400 at the local police impound auction, and for what i got out of it, plus parts i can resell it was worth the money spent for the whole car.

i am located in west texas, not sure where you are located . in my local bone yard i have found several A body V8 cars with engines still in them. 67 to 72, (flat pad mounts) and 73 to 76 (barrel mounts) of course they have been there for several years. the engines are probably junk, but the K frames, motor mount brackets, torsion bars, and other associated parts are still very useable for swaps. i am not interested in junkyarding for this stuff as i have what i need, but i can give you their number, and they do ship out of state. of course you may want to come and get this stuff, this way you can get everything you need. as sometimes requests are lost in translation over the phone.

if you want to you can PM me about this at [email protected]

hope this helps you out
matt

Thanks Matt. Well, I found out, that the engine is a 318. So, I was planning on getting the Schumacher kit, and the radiator. But I didn't know about the torsion bars(so thank you for that). I'm also looking to get a 904 auto 3-speed transmission.

dont forget the tranny you will need will be an A-904 with a short tailshaft and housing to fit the A body. the B, C, and E body cars used a long tailshaft and housing. i am not too sure but i think even the tranny mount pad is in a different location fom the short to the long tailshaft tranny.

only reason i know this is that my cuda is getting an A-833 4 speed tranny, and this gearbox is A body specific due to the mount location, and length of the tailshaft. i can only assume the automatic would be the same as the crossmember that mounts the tranny in is in the same location for both.

i am a 68 to 70 B body guy. this is my first foray into the world of the A body however i am usually pretty right on most of this stuff

the /6 torsion bars are ok if your intention is to make a drag car out of it, along with some moroso 90/10 front shocks up front, and no sway bar in the front. this is the typical drag setup. but if you plan on auto crossing it and or driving it a bit hard in the turns, you may want to just spring for a new set of 1.03 diameter torsion bars from PST. along with some good shocks and sway bars

also remember the bars are a twisted spring steel bar. as such they are vehicle SIDE specific. the ends are labelled R/H for passenger side and L/H for the drivers side. if you put them in on the wrong sides they will quickly fatigue and snap.

hope this helps
matt

Thanks again Matt, I'm actually just going to use it as my daily driver. And to beat the occasional Ricer in a race lol. So far everything is going smoothly, if only I could get the person with the tranny to message me back haha.

Does your car have AC? I believe the later AC cars have sl6/318 bars already in them.

btw I asked the guy I know about the transmissions but he got rid of them a while ago.

do u still need the A-904 short tailshaft tranny. i have one removed from my parts car. it did shift pretty ok, but leaked fluid pretty badly. would suggest an overhaul on it. comes complete with torque converter, kick down linkage for V8. problem is you will need to get it from west texas to california.

throw me a reasonable $$ figure on it, plus you will have pay to truck freight it. yellow freight is pretty reasonable

also remember if you use a 727 smallblock tranny your sliding yoke will be bigger than the /6 A-904 automatic yoke.

LMK
[email protected]
matt

Does your car have AC? I believe the later AC cars have sl6/318 bars already in them.

btw I asked the guy I know about the transmissions but he got rid of them a while ago.

Yeah, it's got stock A/C. But it doesn't blow cold air, so I'm thinking about just taking it out.

-
Back