Need part # for speedo cable

-

BWDart

Reaction score
Need part # for speedo cable 72 Dart with a-500 od tranny most listings are the 3027 but it has 5\8 on tranny end I need 7\8 Can't remember where I got the last one but it got onto the exhaust and melted it

Last edited:
More Information for ATP Y819 (rockauto.com)
More Information for PIONEER CA3014 (rockauto.com)
These are B body cables, but if I recall correctly, a little extra length is needed for the OD trannys anyway.
You're right, the correct A body cables are getting tough to find- too many places have the wrong cable ends listed. Those 5/8 ends are meant to be used with VSS units on the trannys, not gear drives.
Right cables, but not parts store prices:
Imperial Services - '60-'76 A-Body Parts
Thanks I'll look into those

I went through this fiasco recently. I ordered a new speedo cable off Ebay. I went through the whole process of selecting the car model, year, make, motor, transmission to get the confirmation "this part fits your vehicle", WRONG!!

When I received it two weeks later it had the 5/8" inch nut. I was pissed and didn't want the hassle of sending it back. So we took the inner cable out of the new cable and then cut the threads off the 5/8" nut with a cutoff wheel leaving a round disc. We then slipped the 7/8" nut from the old cable over the cable end. Put it back together, tightened it on the transmission and it works fine.

So I lucked out but wouldn't recommend going this route.:BangHead:

-
Back