Need Proportioning Valve Recommendation

-

billkrz

Reaction score
I have a 68 Dart that was upgraded to the 70-74 B body discs (single piston with pins) and 11 inch drum brakes. The master wasn't changed from the original power drum unit. Thanks to people on this board, I've been recommended to change to the 73-78 B body master cylinder. I also need a proportioning valve. Since these are not available for the 73-78 "B" body new, does anyone have a recommendation for me?
Thanks,
Bill

Have you checked with Fine Lines? Some valves are being repopped now. Jeff

I have a 68 Dart that was upgraded to the 70-74 B body discs (single piston with pins) and 11 inch drum brakes. The master wasn't changed from the original power drum unit. Thanks to people on this board, I've been recommended to change to the 73-78 B body master cylinder. I also need a proportioning valve. Since these are not available for the 73-78 "B" body new, does anyone have a recommendation for me?
Thanks,
Bill

I decided on the adjustable SSBC 4 wheel piece. Hope to put it in tonight.

Planning to plumb it under the MC. I replaced all my lines so it will all fit....at least thats the plan.

I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Jim

I decided on the adjustable SSBC 4 wheel piece. Hope to put it in tonight.

Planning to plumb it under the MC. I replaced all my lines so it will all fit....at least thats the plan.

I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Jim

i agree. if you can't find a factory style, then plumb the adjustable style just past the distribution block to the rear wheels.

So...do I need a valve for just the rear wheels or for all four? Seems that there are two opinions here.
Thanks,
Bill

So...do I need a valve for just the rear wheels or for all four? Seems that there are two opinions here.
Thanks,
Bill

Bill

The one I bought from SSBC is a four wheeler. The front part that plumbs to the disc up front is a glorified tee. That's all it does. The other half of the valve which plumbs to the rear brakes does all the proportioning.

The rear line, like Red says, only requires the smaller prop valve that everybody makes with just the one in and one out.

The front lines get teed.

Thats the way I would do it if I did it again. But heh...this SSBC piece sure looks good! I'll post some some pics when I'm done.

Jim

a prop valve of any type is to adjust the pressure to the rear brakes so they lock up AFTER the fronts. the front brakes don't get proportioned. they get 100% pressure, rears get less due to nosediving and would lock up under the same level of pressure as the fronts.

a prop valve of any type is to adjust the pressure to the rear brakes so they lock up AFTER the fronts. the front brakes don't get proportioned. they get 100% pressure, rears get less due to nosediving and would lock up under the same level of pressure as the fronts.

I know we're talking B-Body here, but I disassembled my factory A-Body prop valve just the other day and it has at least two piston and spring assemblies in it. What do these do? I've been told you can remove that stuff and let it flow the max and just put an adjustable to the rear as mentioned above.

-
Back