-

Flat Rate

Reaction score
Help please!!!
74 Dodge Dart Swinger
Slant 6 225 3.7
Front discs
NEED REAR DRUMS!
Pulled off Raybestos 2963R but can’t find replacements. Need both sides. Help!!! Any recommendations on who stocks matching drums for this make and model!

DECCECE4-25F4-40BA-8588-A3AF6FAE427F.jpeg

When you do your searches don’t put in a ‘74 Dart, it will show you all the 5x4” drums too, stuff in 9” etc.

If you put in a ‘74 challenger you’ll get all the BBP drums, you just need 10x2.5” rear drums with the 5x4.5” pattern and they came on tons of stuff. Looks like some of the finned drums are out of stock some places, but the non-finned versions are available everywhere

The last time my buddy needed drums for his 69 roadrunner, he bought them at NAPA. I don't remember the brand to know if they were raybestos or not but he hasn't crashed the car yet for lack of brakes so they must still work. They didn't have them in stock but they shipped it to him within like 2 days so he was happy about that.

i found some chinese part number here and ordered them from Summit, it is the replacement for the helmet drums on the 790 340 Swinger. Summit keeps contacting me telling me they arent in stock and do I want to wait etc. i think youll find them but it may take a while for them to arrive...

If they’re a replacement the for the bell drums they’re 5x4”, not 5x4.5”, and they’re 10x1.75”.

The OP has a ‘74 with front disks, that’s a 5x4.5” bolt pattern car with 10x2.5” drums.

Or rock auto.
Thx again. Had already looked at Rock Auto. Hard to tell if the specs matched (most likely user error) and only a couple options that looked like a "maybe."

When you do your searches don’t put in a ‘74 Dart, it will show you all the 5x4” drums too, stuff in 9” etc.

If you put in a ‘74 challenger you’ll get all the BBP drums, you just need 10x2.5” rear drums with the 5x4.5” pattern and they came on tons of stuff. Looks like some of the finned drums are out of stock some places, but the non-finned versions are available everywhere
Yes, thank you. I have seen many more w/out the fins. Don't think the fins are as big an issue since the car not driven much, and especially at high speeds. It is only a 225 after all! You are right tho in that if I don't put in the make and model more options come up. Just need to make sure the fit is exact.

The last time my buddy needed drums for his 69 roadrunner, he bought them at NAPA. I don't remember the brand to know if they were raybestos or not but he hasn't crashed the car yet for lack of brakes so they must still work. They didn't have them in stock but they shipped it to him within like 2 days so he was happy about that.
Thank you. I called NAPA and looked online. They have a Rayloc drum that looks like a match, with fins. Supposed to deliver in 2 days. Going to give it a try and hope it is a match...

If they’re a replacement the for the bell drums they’re 5x4”, not 5x4.5”, and they’re 10x1.75”.

The OP has a ‘74 with front disks, that’s a 5x4.5” bolt pattern car with 10x2.5” drums.
Summit said out of stock and maybe a mid-Nov date, with emphasis on maybe.

Summit shows the finned Raybestos 2963R coming back into stock November 16th, for whatever that's worth

Brake Drums at Summit Racing

The non-finned version is in stock, Raybestos 2947R

1974 DODGE CHARGER Raybestos 2947R Raybestos R-Line Brake Drums | Summit Racing

They're both 10x2.5", 5x4.5" bolt pattern drums, the 2963R's just have the cooling fins. They're also quite a bit heavier. But if you need to get back on the road before they're available again the 2947R's will work.
Thank you. Just took a look. If I put in year, make and model it says the 2947R's (non-finned) don't fit. Wonder if I order them anyway in hopes that they do actually fit... I ordered a pair of Rayloc's from Napa too. This way I have a 2:1 shot that one pair works?

Thank you everyone! This has been quite the search... Everything the shop ordered has not fit. I ordered two additional pair previously, and they don't fit either. Thanks to your suggestions, I have ordered an additional pair and might order another in hopes that one of the pair fit.

Summit said out of stock and maybe a mid-Nov date, with emphasis on maybe.

Yeah I've had a few things on order that keep getting extended. It's one thing if they say it'll be in next week, totally different ball game if they say next month. Hopefully Napa comes through!

Thank you. Just took a look. If I put in year, make and model it says the 2947R's (non-finned) don't fit. Wonder if I order them anyway in hopes that they do actually fit... I ordered a pair of Rayloc's from Napa too. This way I have a 2:1 shot that one pair works?

Yeah the problem is that those online application guides don't do very well with the A-body years where there were two bolt patterns. In '74 the slant-6 cars came standard with 4 wheel drums, which were 5x4". But the V8 cars came with disks standard up front, and those cars were 5x4.5". But disks were available as an option on the slant-6 cars too, so, you could have a slant 6 '74 Duster with the larger 5x4.5" bolt pattern brakes.

My '74 Duster started out the exact same way, a 225 slant 6 with a column shift 904 AND the front disk brake option, so it was 5x4.5" all around and used the bigger 10x2.5" rear drums. But if you put it into one of those application guides it spits out all the SBP, 5x4" brake stuff.

The part number you posted is for a 10x2.5" drum, if that's what came off it the 2947R's should fit.

Yeah I've had a few things on order that keep getting extended. It's one thing if they say it'll be in next week, totally different ball game if they say next month. Hopefully Napa comes through!

Yeah the problem is that those online application guides don't do very well with the A-body years where there were two bolt patterns. In '74 the slant-6 cars came standard with 4 wheel drums, which were 5x4". But the V8 cars came with disks standard up front, and those cars were 5x4.5". But disks were available as an option on the slant-6 cars too, so, you could have a slant 6 '74 Duster with the larger 5x4.5" bolt pattern brakes.

My '74 Duster started out the exact same way, a 225 slant 6 with a column shift 904 AND the front disk brake option, so it was 5x4.5" all around and used the bigger 10x2.5" rear drums. But if you put it into one of those application guides it spits out all the SBP, 5x4" brake stuff.

The part number you posted is for a 10x2.5" drum, if that's what came off it the 2947R's should fit.
Huge thank you. And I am sure you are right with the search being thrown off by the spec sheets. Must be the case with this car as it has the front discs, but the slant-6 225. I am going to order the 2947R's as a just in case.

Huge thank you. And I am sure you are right with the search being thrown off by the spec sheets. Must be the case with this car as it has the front discs, but the slant-6 225. I am going to order the 2947R's as a just in case.

No problem!

I only know because I ran into the same thing with my ‘74 slant-6 disk car, some of the year/make/model options throw those application guides for a loop. Real easy to get the wrong parts if you’re not careful.

Best of luck!

No problem!

I only know because I ran into the same thing with my ‘74 slant-6 disk car, some of the year/make/model options throw those application guides for a loop. Real easy to get the wrong parts if you’re not careful.

Best of luck!
Thank you. Nice fleet by the way. I read some of your thread on the "addiction." Funny! I am in too deep on my Swinger as well, but... I could be into way worse! Thanks again.

Anyone notice the mistake in the Raybestos online catalog when searching 2947r. The drum diameter in millimeters and inches appears to be screwed up. Since Rockauto gets their info from Raybestos, their specifications are also wrong.

Anyone notice the mistake in the Raybestos online catalog when searching 2947r. The drum diameter in millimeters and inches appears to be screwed up. Since Rockauto gets their info from Raybestos, their specifications are also wrong.
I didn’t catch that.

-
Back