Need some A-727 advise

-

sbh126

Reaction score
Well I bought myself another duster today. The current owner is pulling the 383 and A-727 before he delivers this weekend. I found a 77 New yorker with a 440 and A-727 in it that I would like to drop in my new baby but I wanted to make sure it'll fit. Is the trans tailshaft different? What problems am I going to run into? Also when I test drive the new yorker what do I need to check to make sure the trans and engine are not junk. I had a hell of a time getting my 318 into my first duster. Is there any easy way to get a 440 in an A body? Any help is appreciated.

The tailshaft will be the same. The same tailshaft was used for all A/B/C/E body cars. I don't know if I would call the 440 swap easy, but there are a ton of people who have done it. Do some searching around here and anywhere else on the net and you'll find plenty of information.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/ is a good place to start to fully understand what you're getting into with a BB swap. BigBlockDart.com is another.

If your donor drive train runs and shifts then I'd say it's not junk. Everything is rebuildable but you should consider a complete overhaul anyway. Plan on an assortment of leaks. Does it knock? Does it smoke? Does it have decent oil pressure? Does it idle smoothly or run rough and sound funky at the tail pipe like there's burnt valves? The list goes on.

-
Back