Need some advice

-

Swinger803

1973 Dart Swinger 225
Reaction score
Hey guys..I could use some help. I am a rookie to the world of slants. I've got a 73 Swinger 225 that I'm working towards restoring. I would like to keep the motor as "stock" looking as possible, however I would like some more power out of the motor. Some of you guys have done some amazing things with your 225s..

Advice or tips are greatly appreciated!!!

Mill the head

Super Six intake

Electronic or HEI ignition

2 1/4 exhaust pipe to rear

3.21 gears

Mill the head

Super Six intake

Electronic or HEI ignition (have it)

2 1/4 exhaust pipe to rear

3.21 gears

for looking stock thats about it lol...

although i am a big fan of the petronix upgrade... then you dont have to run the stupid ign box... but being a 73 its already electronic... so why are we bothering with that lol...

the rest is good...

maybe a little cam to

You might look into 198 rods or K1? rods as well. I do not remember if that is the correct name. Look up SlantsixDan. He knows EVERYTHING about slant six engines. Bore the block and put in a decent set of pistons. After the engine is squared away, the rear would be the weak link.

It really depends on what YOU want and what YOUR budget can stand.

Welcome! The first tip is to decide what exactly you want the car to do differently than it does now, and figure out how much money and time you've got for the project. Remember also that when the car can go faster and quicker, it needs to steer and stop faster and quicker, too.

Before you do any modifications, you'll want to give the car a top-notch tune-up. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Remember this engine has solid lifters and needs periodic valve adjustment. You will also pick up a great deal of driveability with two simple underhood tweaks: set the base timing to 5° BTDC rather than the factory spec of 0°, and bypass the OSAC valve. The latter is a widget on the passenger side of the firewall with two vacuum hoses running to it: one from the carburetor and the other to the distributor. What you want to do is run one hose directly from carburetor to distributor, leaving the OSAC valve out of it.

Once you set out to do modifications and upgrades, you'll hear the name "Clifford" come up, but be very careful before you decide to spend any money with Clifford. They have a long and ugly reputation for being a bunch of clowns; see for example here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell is inaccurately described, and a lot of it is not even slightly cost-effective. The good news is that you don't need to go to Clifford to get hot rod parts for slant-6s; there are lots of other, better options. See for example Dutra Duals and header options discussed in this thread and this one, Erson custom cams, HEI ignition upgrade, Mike Jeffreys windage trays, Hurricane intakes, other exotic intakes. Hi-perf engine buildup here, high-perf parts and build info here.

Guys,

Thanks so much for the advice!

You have all given me some great tips, and advice. All together you've given me a great point to start...now it's time to get to work!! Unfortunately those days are few and far between..

This weekend the Slant will get a tune up from hell, and from there its time to tweak and tune my heart out!

So, hypothetically after the tune up...where would you guys start? Like I said, Im very new to this.

Mike:burnout:

Dan, do you have that Clifford paragraph saved in a word file somewhere? lol

So, hypothetically after the tune up...where would you guys start? Like I said, Im very new to this.

Me, I'd start by getting the three books described in this thread as quickly as possible. Read-read-read! They are among the most cost-effective tools you will buy.

Then I'd sit down and make a very specific list of what I want the car to do differently than it does now. Spend some time on it. Really be specific! Figure out which brake system your car has (9" drum brakes all around? 10" drums? Discs in front?). Then realistically figure out how much money and time you have for it over the next six months. This will be affected by factors like whether this is your only car or if you have something else to drive while this one is undergoing upgrades, and how busy your school and/or work keep you.

Sorry, I know you wanna read replies like "Well, I'd get this carburetor and that exhaust system and one of these ignition upgrades and I'd put in this camshaft", etc., and good answers of that type are just around the corner, but not til you do the initial homework to come up with a solid fully-informed start and end point for the project, any combination of parts and mods that would be suggested would just be bench racing. BSing. Shootin' the breeze. Which is fun, but doesn't really get you moving where you want to go.

Other worthwhile reads at this stage: here and here and here and here.

Guys,

Thanks so much for the advice!

You have all given me some great tips, and advice. All together you've given me a great point to start...now it's time to get to work!! Unfortunately those days are few and far between..

This weekend the Slant will get a tune up from hell, and from there its time to tweak and tune my heart out!

Mike:burnout:

well for the best bang for the buck it milling the head... so you are going to need to take off the intake and exhaust manifold, remove the valve cover, remove the rocker shaft, then the head...

being you have to go to the work of removing the intake/exh i would have the new super six (or small 390 4 barrel and offy intake) ready to just install...

Dan, do you have that Clifford paragraph saved in a word file somewhere? lol

i was gonna ask that to lol...

-
Back