need some fan info please

-

MIKERP76

Reaction score
i am currently trying to remove the electric fan and aftermarket radiator rom my car. i am need the measurement from the original fan to the radiator and weather or not there is a spacer that goes between the fan and water pump. got a new radiator and next comes the factory style fan.

A Fiat 850 has the radiator and fan beside the engine instead of in front of it, but I am taking a wild guess you are not asking about a Fiat 850. :D

BTW, I have an extra factory V8 A body fan and an approximate one inch spacer if you need them.

-- A Fiat 850 has the radiator and fan beside the engine instead of in front of it, but I am taking a wild guess you are not asking about a Fiat 850. :D --
-- C'mon TrailBeast -- I'm a Mopar fan. --
icon10.gif
--

-- C'mon TrailBeast -- I'm a Mopar fan. --
icon10.gif
--

Yes, me too as well as everyone else here, but when asking for measurements even the year, model and engine matters.

We all do that at some point without realizing it, but I can't help poking fun when it happens. :D

Sorry it is on my 67 valiant with the slant 6. i tend to forget that not everyone know what i have. lol. when i got her she had a large aftermarket radiator with the lower outlet on the wrong side. and an electric fan assembly as well. but i have been running into an issue of the battery trying to go dead while i am driving with the radio on. so i am going back to the factory radiator and fan.

Sorry it is on my 67 valiant with the slant 6. i tend to forget that not everyone know what i have. lol. when i got her she had a large aftermarket radiator with the lower outlet on the wrong side. and an electric fan assembly as well. but i have been running into an issue of the battery trying to go dead while i am driving with the radio on. so i am going back to the factory radiator and fan.

I have to think there is some other problem with your charging system since I run an electric fan, CD player, headlights, heater, wipers and various other electrical devices and don't have any charging or low battery problems at all.
I guess we'll find out though from the sounds of it.

Does your fan run all the time or just when it needs it?

The previous owner wired it to the voltage regulator wire coming from the key. i have tried to re wire it to the battery it self with a thermostatically operated fan controller. but it still seems to drain down the battery while driving with the radio on.

The previous owner wired it to the voltage regulator wire coming from the key. i have tried to re wire it to the battery it self with a thermostatically operated fan controller. but it still seems to drain down the battery while driving with the radio on.

It sounds to me like someone either did something that is limiting the alternator output, or there is something wrong with the alternator or it's associated wiring.

Have you checked the voltage at the batter with the car running and the fan both connected and disconnected?
Should be around 13.8 to 14.8 volts with the fan not running, and I'd be curious to what it is with it running.

at idle it is running around 12.8 volts raise the rpm and it goes up to 13.7-14.5 volts. plus over half the wiring that is under the hood has been butchered beyond recognition. i will start a thread on that over in the electrical section later.

no shroud fan or fan clutch at the moment i am still trying to get those parts sorted out. not sure what the correct fan for the car looks like as min was long gone along with the a/c condenser and compressor.

measuring the stock 63 and 65 slant darts, its figures a bout 2 1/2 in from rad core to front of fan. my tape is fat and hard to measure exactly but that's probably pretty close. oem fan and rad.

lke those other guys said, test v at every where under eng compartment and see whats what.

I have thought about might need a alum, rad for the b b 67 bel1 i'm piddling with, BUT i'm old school, don't want alum rad IF I can't cool it with the oem fan, .... shroud will no doubt be a problem, BUT I personnaly don't want friggin lectric fans!!!!!! I ain't an Az boy racer!!!

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow after I finish the radiator install but it looks way too close to me.

Here is what I am working with.

Attachments

• IMG_20160217_125234.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 142
It is way too close. But that may be because the radiator is thicker than what normally is found on a Slant car.

The problem with attempting to use the factory stuff is that slant's got a fixed, 4-blade fan that mounts using a spacer about 2-1/2" thick. That'll never go in that space you have. Besides, the 4-blade is a waste of time anyway with that upgraded radiator.

The next possibility is the A/C and HD cooling fan, which is a larger flex fan, but again mounts with a spacer and probably won't go in there easily, if at all.

What you probably will need to use is a clutch fan for a slant-6 M-body, like a Diplomat or Gran Fury. They are quite thin and it might just sneak in there, plus it uses no spacer. I have one I tried to sell here and nobody wanted it.

sorry for the long wait for an update on this issue. i did find a flex fan and a 1 " spacer that fit just right. fan sits about 1/2" from the radiator. what i did find interesting is that there is another spacer between the pulley and water pump. the radiator i got is for a non a/c car but my car had a/c when new.

-
Back