need some help.. axel nut

-

74_duster

Reaction score
ok i went to go change my hub assemble on a 95 intrepid today and the nut was ceased on the axel shaft i tried 4d40 heat from a butane torch i dont have a acetylene torch handy everything decides cutting it and in the process i broke a snap on breaker bar 1/2in drive need some tips on how to get it off thanks

A lot of these &*%$##@ front drivers use staked nuts on the end of the axle. To determine if you are afflicted with this, look at the threaded end of the axle. If there is a square groove (like a keyway on a crankshaft) cut in the axle, you got one. If you look closely you may see that the outer edge of the nut looks like it is bent into the keyway. Take a BFH and a chisel and pound the edge of the nut out of the keyway. Then the nut will come right off. You will need to get a new nut after this but they are cheap. When you get the new nut installed, make sure you chisel the edge of the nut down into the keyway. If you don't you may get passed by your wheel. Hope this helps.

i dont think it dooes its a friend of mine and would there be a key way all the way down the axel shaft are just under the bolt

-
Back