need some help here

-

jw97neon

Reaction score
so i was looking to sell my 273 running engine out of my dart. the person looking to buy it wants my full drivetrain, engine, trans, driveline, carb, kick down cables and brackets. they all work proper. what is a good price for all of this? he offered me 600. is this a fair price?

I picked up a 45 k original mile 273 2 bbl engine, trans, and axle from a 65 Barracuda back in 98 for $750.

The engine was in pieces and did not have the carb, linkages etc, but I got the short block, heads, and intake. No carb or linkages.

whatever is agreeable to each. remember this, most people opt for a 318, 340, 0r 360. more potential for power, cheaper parts, same outward lookin or actually is same exterior, to tell difference anyone would have to read numbers on side of block.
however, some people want to put their car back stock, correct.
around here in pore- a__ south Missouri, often you will get a 273 for the same price of a slant: free to maybe 100 or so .....
like the guy said, if you don't need the parts for another build, maybe a good deaL FOR BOTH.
lets face it, prices for parts and cars vary widely due to location, sorta ilie the r/e market! ?? LOL
askin us what a part or car is worth??? well its like asking me what I will give for your part and then me buying it, !!??? I ask whay you the seller wants for this part, you give me a price, and I either pay that or make an offer!????? LOL

Do you need any of the parts for your build?
that is my problem. i am not sure if i do or not. my direction of engine is a modern hemi but for the price i could do a 408 small block build. i bought the car with everything in it. i was able to get it running and it runs great. does need a reseal. the only thing holding me is the trans. if i go a small block i could reuse the trans. but then i think about 904 not holding a ton of power. i have only driven the car from the garage to the street and back. so i know zero history on the car other then that. sounds like a good offer.
I picked up a 45 k original mile 273 2 bbl engine, trans, and axle from a 65 Barracuda back in 98 for $750.

The engine was in pieces and did not have the carb, linkages etc, but I got the short block, heads, and intake. No carb or linkages.
yeah this engine has 318 heads, intake, and 4 bbl. looks like it was a old little racecar in the past. i am keeping the rear axle. it is a 8 3/4 with a 489 3rd member.

I would ask myself this...am I ready to pull the engine out of a running car? And can I replace what sounds like a good running engine for what I'm getting? For $600, no way!!

If you're ready to drop something else in and go, then yes, $600 is a pretty good price for a running drivetrain, even if its a 273!

Your call, but I do t personally like to go without a bird in hand!! Geof

I sold.my 273 with trans included and kickdown linkage for $500 last fall. I thought it was a good deal for both of us. Mine did run. Now if your throwing
in a rear and driveshaft thats worth much more. An 8 3/4 will cost you somewhere between $700-$1000 if you include the rear brakes and drive shaft.
Rod

One of the reasons I don't sell parts or even send scrap to the scrap yard until the project is done. Never know what you might need during the build. The only exception might be interior hard parts if I'm changing the color of the interior.

I sold.my 273 with trans included and kickdown linkage for $500 last fall. I thought it was a good deal for both of us. Mine did run. Now if your throwing
in a rear and driveshaft thats worth much more. An 8 3/4 will cost you somewhere between $700-$1000 if you include the rear brakes and drive shaft.
Rod
no I am keeping the rear end. Just selling the driveline.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think have a direction I am going to go now.

One of the reasons I don't sell parts or even send scrap to the scrap yard until the project is done. Never know what you might need during the build.

I'm trying to teach my oldest son this....

Don't get rid of extra parts until your project is complete and running. You never know when the new parts won't work and you have to recycle the old ones.... :banghead:

so i was looking to sell my 273 running engine out of my dart. the person looking to buy it wants my full drivetrain, engine, trans, driveline, carb, kick down cables and brackets. they all work proper. what is a good price for all of this? he offered me 600. is this a fair price?

A fair price is what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept.

I would recommend putting the driveline in the car that you want before selling anything. That way you know you didin't sell something you need.

-
Back