need some help on 2 stupid problems...

-

Shane

Reaction score
First issue I am having now, is that I have my new, ordered from mopar performance, oil dipstick and tube and it is very very very snug while trying to get it in place...is there a trick to getting this thing it? I do not believe i can hit it any harder with the hammer or it will bend...i am thinking about grinding the end that goes in the block a bit.....

second issue, i have been anal(excuse my french) with bagging and tagging all the parts off the car when i pulled the motor... but for the life of me, i can not find the four bolts that hold the water pump pulley and fan to the water pump...if anyone has a photo of the bolt or the socket size and dimesnisons of the bolts I would Greatly appreciate it....

thanks again,

Shane..

As far as the dipstick tube goes I would not grind it .
I'd use emory cloth , support the tube "gently" in a vise ,wrap it with a cloth.wrap the emory cloth around the tube and remove a small amount of material at a time remember that's supposed to be an "interference" fit = snug
so it won't leak or become dislodged . when test fitting be sure to clean it completely ! You really don't want any grit in your engine !!!

Can't help you on the second issue , I think the heads are 7/16" or 1/2"
lentgh would depend on what sort of fan,pulley,spacer,ETC...

It depends on the type of fan you are using, if its a solid drive - then the bolts will have to clear the fan spacer, if its a viscous drive fan the bolts are about 5/8" - 3/4 " thread length the head size should be 1/2 inch which would mean 5/16" coarse thread. Just make sure what ever you use will clear the pump housing and have adequate thread engagement. Adequate thread engagement = at least the same length engagement as the diameter of the thread plus a little - in this case about 1/8 inch more than the thickness of the pump flange + pulley + fan etc. Make sure to use grade 5 bolts or better.

read somewhere to insert screwdriver into tube and gently tap with hammer to seat dip tube

if it will not go this way then use the emery cloth

Yea, the screwdriver or a bolt in the top of tube to tap on. Be sure to get it bent right before you tap it in. Easier to do it before so it doesn't kink.

Put the tube in the freezer for a hour or so.

If the timing chain cover/pan isn't istalled,grab a propane torch and heat up the area.

May give you some additional clearance to fit.

The long phillips screwdriver down the tube is another good tip. Make sure it fits snug in the tube.

I had the same problem with mine Shane, I think these things are made in mexico like the mopar performance valve covers now, lol. I had to use emery cloth also, I took a while but I got it wittled down enough to finally go in. Just be patient

With my dipstick tube I slipped a box wrench the size of the flange that seats against block and tapped on that to seat it in. The screwdriver approach is the second best, but the box wrench gives you a contact area all around the flange. Just make sure to hit the wrench right at the base of the box portion to distribute the force evenly. Mine dropped right in without bending anything.

Hope this helps!

thanks for all the info...as soon as I am done working today I will put the tips into action..

i gave up trying to get the new one in and used the old one

one time someone told me patience is a virtue, whatever that means...

-
Back