need some help on a 318 build

-

dodgefreak8

Reaction score
hey guys I am wanting to rebuild the gutless wonder of a motor in my 1986 dodge w150 truck and crank up the horsepower/torque without killing my fuel mileage. Am I correct in thinking I have 302 heads on this 318?? If so would a standard 3 angle valve job be sufficient machine work?? Also I would like to stick to a budget which would mean keeping the stock pistons and just installing new rings(if I don't have to bore the block) Can I still make decent power with this combo or should I just go get an older 318 and go with 360 heads(have this combo on my 74 dart) I plan on changing the cam and fuel system maybe throttle body fuel injection for the mileage and reliability. Give me some feedback and let me know if I am in the right direction. thanks

Wow, I could tell you how to make a kick *** 318 but mine gets 10 mpg :toothy1:

That good gas mileage part I forgot all about--I know, its pay back time for me now.

I say forget it, your truck is heavy, I can't see how you can get good power from it and still get good mileage.

You are going to spend so much $$$ trying to get that F.I. tuned right if you go changing everything. You could put a computer friendly cam in it and a cold air box but it still be weak IMO.

I forgot to mention that I will be installing a 46re tranny with overdrive so that will help the mileage some!

-
Back