Need some help on adjusting my hood

-

joe67GT

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's the best way to adjust the hood on my 67 Dart? The rear of the hood by the wiper cowl is sitting about 1/4 inch to low and it looks like crap.
Thanks!
Joe

I have never had much luck with this. What I do is loosen all the bolts in the hinge to where they are still a little snug to where the hood will move but not that EZ. then close the hood and push and shake it till it is where you want it. Then very carfuly with out it moving on you, open it and titen the bolts up. That should at least get you close.

To adjust your hood, first close it and push down on the front corners over the rubber stop. Does it go down more than flush with the fender. If either corner does, raise the corresponding bump stop until there is no space between the hood and the stop and both sides are flush. Leave the locknut loose, as you may need to adjust them again. Then go to the hinge area of the side that is low and loosen the rear bolt of the hood bolts and slightly loosen the front bolt (not the hinge to body bolts). Pull up slightly on that corner of the hood and watch the shadow of where the bolt was to make sure that you raise the hood slightly on the bolt. You want it to pivot on the front bolt, but now slide up and down on that bolt. Retighten the bolts and close the hood. Did you raise it enough?? If not, try again. You may have to allow it to slide up on the front bolt also, but that depends on how far it needs to come up.

When you get the hood flush in the back, check it closed by dropping the front bumpstop that is opposite of the corner you raised. How much do you need to drop it before there is space between the hood and the bumpstop? Shouldn't be much unless you needed to slide up on the front hinge bolt. When the hood is closed and there is space between the hood and the bumpstop, is that front corner now too low?? A little low can be made up in the bumpstop height adjustment, but don't overflex the hood to get it flush.

It is a game of "fit and finish", and should be done in small increments. Good luck with the adjustment, Geof

-
Back