need some help with a starter

-

soaringcowman

Reaction score
hey i beleive my starter just went out, turn the the click click click. we even hooked a car up to it to try and jump start it. we hit the starter a few times and then tried and it started right up. I got to looking at everything and dont see a easy way out. i have a set of hooker headers on my 318 duster, with a full size starter. whats the easiest way to get this out and a new one in? thanks adam

b4 u do that id check the starter relay but ya sounds like the starter

now what'd be the easiest way to swap it out. i really don't wanna take the header all the way back out, it was a pain in the rear to put it in? is there some good tatical way to do this lol

get the car real hot first then burn the s@#$ out of your arms LOL! Two bolts, two wires just get it out. If it's a rel PITA get a mini. Also if your headers are too close it could melt any internal mechanisms that are heat sensitive.
I have a mini starter and am glad I do, I wouldn't want to replace one if I didn't.

sorry, but you have the "these headers suck to change a starter" headers. jump start the relay, next to the battery, by jumping the hot post and the solenoid post. if it starts fine, its a relay, but i'm bettin' on a starter.

More than likely ... remove dist cap or Dist, undo motor mounts and left headder, lift motor an inch or 2 and See what ya can wiggle, where... full size starters n headders are a pain , But it can be done. I wiggled mine in there, but took a while.

eric s68 did you have to undo any of your steering compoinents. cuz i was thinking maybe i could slip it through the headers were it all connects at the pitman arm? thanks for all your guys help

sorry, but you have the "these headers suck to change a starter" headers. jump start the relay, next to the battery, by jumping the hot post and the solenoid post. if it starts fine, its a relay, but i'm bettin' on a starter.

i'm kinda confused on how i would do this, can somebody explain a little more in dept. thanks

Let’s see.
I think you want to put power directly to the wire that goes down to the starter from the relay.
I'm going to use my memory on this since you appear online and might want a quick response.
Hope I get it right.
Short out the two big terminals on the relay by your battery.
This puts power directly down to the solonoid on the starter which pulls in and powers the starter motor it's self.
Watch out for a little spark.
I just wanted to point out that sometime connections give problems.
Check them good for corrosion and tightness before doing anything drastic.
Check them all even the battery and starter connections.
(I recommend safety glasses around batteries)

Oh yeah, forgot to say undo pitman arm and left inner tierod ! It's one of the uglier jobs to do , just cause it's ALL in your way.

-
Back