need some help

-

75coltgtv8

Reaction score
So I got a 1975 dodge colt gt with a pretty built 318 v8 swaped. My only weak point is front suspension. Just wondering what people think the best set-up would be? Cant seem to find much info on this build
Mainly a street rod but would like to quarter mile it once in a while

t
So I got a 1975 dodge colt gt with a pretty built 318 v8 swaped. My only weak point is front suspension. Just wondering what people think the best set-up would be? Cant seem to find much info on this build
Mainly a street rod but would like to quarter mile it once in a while
The factory style suspension is pretty good for when it was designed, but there are some nice upgrades you can make without breaking the bank or having a bunch of stuff you don't need or use.

For example:
I live in an area where the roads suck, and I mean like chunks of street missing or big dips and humps in the roads.
I opted for poly suspension bushings with OEM A arms, control arms, and strut rods.
Added 1.03 torsion bars and good shocks (Not hyped up racing shocks) but just good Monroe gas shocks.
Then I set my ride height about 3 inches over stock with 15" tires.
I didn't want sway bars because they tend to try to keep the car flat by limiting the individual wheel travel making going over uneven and multilevel surfaces constantly fight the steering.
I wanted each wheel to be able to handle what it's road surface was doing without affecting the other tire also.
You hear the phrase "Independent front suspension" as being a good thing all over the place, right?
Well sway bars undo some of that benefit to keep the body flatter.

Point is, for about 400 bucks in parts you can have a pretty tough and versatile suspension, so don't let all the people that think everyone should have a race or track car make useless parts decisions for you just because it isn't their money getting spent, or their car being all torn apart to make changes that were never designed for that car if it'll never need them anyway.

No offense to anyone meant, just the way it is in my own opinion.

Last edited:
My problems are being extremely front heavy on my original 4 cylinder suspension. Also id like to have 5 lug in the front to match the ford 9" rear so wheels will be easier to find. What goes into doing a mustang II build ? Also would it even fit? The colt is a very small car

My problems are being extremely front heavy on my original 4 cylinder suspension. Also id like to have 5 lug in the front to match the ford 9" rear so wheels will be easier to find. What goes into doing a mustang II build ? Also would it even fit? The colt is a very small car

First off I didn't realize it was a colt since this is an A body website. (just didn't occur)
Mustang may very well be a decent donor, but I have no personal experience with colt or mustang II either one.
Even though, remember what I said about a bunch of overkill for what you need, as it still applies.
Some of these arm chair racers would have you put 5k into the suspension of a daily driver work car if you take all their advice as set in stone best things to do.

I had this same situation on a 1977 Plymouth Arrow , you can get heavier strut spring from I Bach suspensions , I took the lower control arms and boxed then to beef them up and also reinforced the control arm mounts . Its not a big deal and cheap to do .

That's one I rarely see anymore. Pictures?

BEXQwTgtqJj8LsTgYuaAAkE9U1FzbEBFwsrDVU0
That work? My phone is shity

My instagram is 75coltgt if pictures dont show here
Also I dont know what body.type my car is a-b-c dont know so I just posted here

There was a website called classic colt. It had a wealth of information about those cars. Lots of suspension ideas. A heavier spring would help and a decent strut replacement. This wouldn't fix lug pattern though.

-
Back