Need some Help!!

-

LowDart

BR-Dodge
Reaction score
Hi,Long time without posting.Now i need some help to identify these heads i have here.2 month's ago i had a valve release and that valve din't damaged the block or piston(Just a few marks onthe piston),but broke the head(Driver side).I had a pair of heads here vthat i belived was from a 318,so,i replaced the old(Broken)head for one of these.It worked but now the engine it's knocking(tic,tic)and losing power.After ](*,) ,thinking on Damaged Rods or something like that,i've meet the friend that gave these heads to me,and he says that these heads where removed from an American Dodge,Now i'm trying to discover if it's realy a 318 or 340-360 heads.If it is from a 318,what's the compression rate of an U.S 318 LA?How do i identify if it's 318,340, or 360 Heads??

Thank's to All!!

V8 dart 73.jpg

They look like 318 magnum heads to me, are the exhaust ports square?

Hey lowdart, when you say that there was no damage to the piston, did you actually remove the piston and rod and inspect the piston for cracks and rod for being bent? The knock you're hearing could also be because of a tore up rod bearing, crank bearing, or wrist pin from a broken piston pin boss.

Terry

What is the casting numbers on the heads you installed? And check that cyl like Terry said. Have you cleaned the chamber on the old head? Almost looks like you may be running on the lean side.

Hey lowdart, when you say that there was no damage to the piston, did you actually remove the piston and rod and inspect the piston for cracks and rod for being bent? The knock you're hearing could also be because of a tore up rod bearing, crank bearing, or wrist pin from a broken piston pin boss.

Terry

No,i don't have a place to do that anymore,i've just moved from a house to an apartment ,and i think that's what will find too!!I have looked the rod and piston without remove it.But i realy think you're right!!.But then came this friend and told me that thing about the heads:violent1:.I guess i'll have to check this things first and see if everything it's ok down there with Rods,Bearings,etc.. before think about the heads.Thank's a lot,i'll check that out than i post here what i found.Thank's Again Guy's!!!:burnout:

It looks more like an early 273/318 head. the number should be cast in the runner under the valve cover. doesnt look like any 302 i have had. the the bump between the valves doesnt extend far enough and it looks like the pushrod holes are too small. are there any air injection holes under the exhaust ports?

It looks more like an early 273/318 head. the number should be cast in the runner under the valve cover. doesnt look like any 302 i have had. the the bump between the valves doesnt extend far enough and it looks like the pushrod holes are too small. are there any air injection holes under the exhaust ports?

I know what you mean but they don't quite have the chamber shape of the 324 heads I have which are more like the bb 516 915 chamber with no ground down point between the valves [where the 302's have that heart point].
Could be the old 273 heads . hey how about showing us the intake side?

My vote is for the early 273 head.... What size bolts hold the intake, 5/16 or 3/8?

With the casting number as low as it is, it would be a late 60s head. The 273s were the only closed chamber LA head back then. So I'd say, the closest US head would be a 273, like others have guessed, but we can't assume that anything is the same down there.

Hey lowdart I guess you don't take requests?
SHOW US THE INTAKE SIDE OF THE HEADS.
Closed chambers went out for the early sb in 68'[ last yr 67' untill the later 302 and magum's

Hey lowdart I guess you don't take requests?
SHOW US THE INTAKE SIDE OF THE HEADS.
Closed chambers went out for the early sb in 68'[ last yr 67' untill the later 302 and magum's

???I had no pictures of the intake side,that'sv why i didn't post them before.I've just taken these pictures now!!!As i said before this heads have same intake port size of my 73 318 stock heads.Thank's to all for the help.8)

SDC10388.jpg

SDC10387.jpg

Your casting number doesn't match anything I see used in the U.S. It's not a 340/360 head, they would have larger ports.

A U.S. 318 head would have a larger, open chamber, so the compression would be lower with a U.S. head.

Your casting number doesn't match anything I see used in the U.S. It's not a 340/360 head, they would have larger ports.

A U.S. 318 head would have a larger, open chamber, so the compression would be lower with a U.S. head.

Thank You damnimcooltom!!That's the information a needed.I discovered yesterday that this heads came from a Brazilian version of Dodge Charger R/T,it's 318 LA heads ,but on the Dodge Dart(Brazil)we had (7,5:1) compression, and the Charger R/T had a (8,4:1).That's the diference.Thank's for the help

-
Back