Need some input on a pass through fuel setup for blow through carb

-

srixon4406

TURBO TOAD
Reaction score
I've scored endless posts on the turbo forums and I couldn't find what I was looking for and I need some help

I'm looking at running two of the walbro 392 electric fuel pumps and a mallory 4309 reg

I hoping somebody that is running this setup can help me design a working system that is done right the FIRST TIME!

Please if anybody has some info or some links for a reliable pass through fuel system in a blow through setup please post some pics and options!

Also some detailed info like fuel line size,fuel filters sizes/location,reg mounting location, etc.

Thanks Aaron

Contact CW25 on the turbo forums. He is running to of those and he should be able to answer any questions. He is also on moparts.com

I've scored endless posts on the turbo forums and I couldn't find what I was looking for and I need some help

I'm looking at running two of the walbro 392 electric fuel pumps and a mallory 4309 reg

I hoping somebody that is running this setup can help me design a working system that is done right the FIRST TIME!

Please if anybody has some info or some links for a reliable pass through fuel system in a blow through setup please post some pics and options!

Also some detailed info like fuel line size,fuel filters sizes/location,reg mounting location, etc.

Thanks Aaron

Did you get the information you needed?

I'm almost sold on going /6 with boost over a mild 360 or 408 but I need to get a grasp on the fuel delivery/return (if needed). These beast are a bit different than the boosted imports i've worked with...

Thanks Aaron

Tom Wolfe (Shaker223 on FABO) helped us out on this, and he's a regular fabo contributor. Maybe he'd have some good advice for you....

Bill

I am using triple walbro 392's on mine "EFI" though with a Mallory Boost Refenced EFI Regulator 30-100PSI. Running 3 is good to over 1400 Boosted EFI HP. They say 2 are good for 900HP with Boost/EFI. You will have way more than enough fuel with a Dual Set up. For your application I would probably run a -8 feed and -8 return also. You could bigger if you wanted but I don't believe it is needed. These pumps are SUPER quite, I met a guy from theturboforums.com at the Dyno here where I live 2 weeks ago. He had 3 of them on his car and you could barely hear them running and I was standing 2 feet from them. Xlnt choice for a street strip set up cause they are super super quite and get the job done reliably.

I found a good price on the 3 I bought from this guy here. I ordered them and they came the next day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...spagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr#ht_3967wt_883

Tom Wolfe (Shaker223 on FABO) helped us out on this, and he's a regular fabo contributor. Maybe he'd have some good advice for you....

Bill

Bill is right shaker223 helped me out on the fuel system like maddart I'm running walbro 392 pump with a Mallory efi fuel regulator also I'm using 8 an for my feed and 10 an for the return once I understood how the setup works it was easy to setup.
If u have any questions just ask
Aaron

from what I have read they dont recommend the mallory regulator. I went with the aeromotive reg.. I will be running 2 of the 392s. -8 to each from the fuel cell. From the pump to a -10 "Y" to my huge -10 log filter then to the regulator with a -10 return..

from what I have read they dont recommend the mallory regulator. I went with the aeromotive reg.. I will be running 2 of the 392s. -8 to each from the fuel cell. From the pump to a -10 "Y" to my huge -10 log filter then to the regulator with a -10 return..

Hotmopr, what sort of power are you making with this setup. And is this on a slant six or sb? That setup seems like it could push a boat load of fuel. I'm shooting for a max of 300-325whp and I'm thinking that would call for a single walbro and no more than a -5 or -6 feed line (that may be overkill!).

I really want to maintain the factory fuel tank and pikcup too - which is limited to a 3/8 pickup unless someones makes a larger one. Anyone dealt with using a factory tank and pickup? I'm building a street car afterall.

What do you all think? Anyone seen a good a reference for pump and line requirments for lower horsepower applications?

Thanks!

Ya my horsepower will be maxing 2 of these. My concern for you is the regulator. The 4309 isnt intended for the psi the pump will put out. The mallory pump I think only pors out 14 psi compared to the 45 or whatever it is the walbro wil put out.

I would use the stock tank with a sump added and run -8 feed and a return.

Yeah, I'll definetly sump it for an external pump. Do you know if -8 feed and returns would be overkill for a 300 whp setup? My understanding would be that once the fuel reaches the regulator that it's going to properly limit the flow into the carb. So, eventhough a single 255lph pump and -8 feed line will be setup for 450-500 whp it should'nt drown the system due to the regaltor.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'll definetly sump it for an external pump. Do you know if -8 feed and returns would be overkill for a 300 whp setup? My understanding would be that once the fuel reaches the regulator that it's going to properly limit the flow into the carb. So, eventhough a single 255lph pump and -8 feed line will be setup for 450-500 whp it should'nt drown the system due to the regaltor.

Thanks.

The cost is within $15.00 for each run of the -8 and you will be ready for when you upgrade to a Turbo V8. I still say -8 feed & -8 Return.

I ran a 8 for the feed and a 10 for the return the worst thing u can do is run a turbo motor out of fuel
Aaron

For normal driving you can run one pump. The second and/or third pumps (Walbro) will act as a deadhead and can be turned on at a specific boost level.

I have -6 on my car and works fine. -8 would not hurt. Remember the "F.A.S.T." guys are making alot of power with 3/8 and 5/16 fuel lines.

Thanks.

I use a single pump with -6 and make close to 500hp. No issues. I have moved to the alcohol needle and seats for more flow to the fuel bowls.

good arguments about the cost difference between the fuel lines. my main concern was pushing too much fuel but given a good regulator i guess that's a non-issue.

shaker, that carb talk is over my head - i can hardly get my 2bbl 273 to run smooth - lol! that's where i'm really going to need to come up to speed. the timing i have figured out at least ;)

speaking of timing and fuel - what type of managment ya'll run? i'm leavning toward aeromotive for the regulator and the msd 653 for timing and lockout the mechanical advance.

Ya what he said.. lol

I hope you don't think I am stealing your words....... I posted this 2 Days before you posted....We must just think alike.

I am using triple walbro 392's on mine "EFI" though with a Mallory Boost Refenced EFI Regulator 30-100PSI. Running 3 is good to over 1400 Boosted EFI HP. They say 2 are good for 900HP with Boost/EFI. You will have way more than enough fuel with a Dual Set up. For your application I would probably run a -8 feed and -8 return also. You could bigger if you wanted but I don't believe it is needed. These pumps are SUPER quite, I met a guy from theturboforums.com at the Dyno here where I live 2 weeks ago. He had 3 of them on his car and you could barely hear them running and I was standing 2 feet from them. Xlnt choice for a street strip set up cause they are super super quite and get the job done reliably.

I found a good price on the 3 I bought from this guy here. I ordered them and they came the next day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...#ht_3967wt_883

-
Back