Need some measurements

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im looking at a couple of a-body 23 spline a833's...I noticed the ones im looking at have some welds at the front bearing support (two transmissions from different guys) which i find kinda strange...is this factory? you can see what i mean in the attached picture

also, can someone measure for me how much shaft there should be after the splines? it seems like theres a bit much on this one.

any advice appreciated! thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 246
I just looked a 2 833s in my shop. Neither one was welded. One is a truck OD trans & measures 2 1/8" after the splines. The other is a rebuilt trans that I was told was for a 66 A Body & it measures 2 5/16" after the splines. I took both measurements beginning at the small diameter section of the pilot shaft, after it tapers down from the splined section.

I just looked a 2 833s in my shop. Neither one was welded. One is a truck OD trans & measures 2 1/8" after the splines. The other is a rebuilt trans that I was told was for a 66 A Body & it measures 2 5/16" after the splines. I took both measurements beginning at the small diameter section of the pilot shaft, after it tapers down from the splined section.

hey perfect man! just what i was looking for!
I kinda figured the bearing retainer shouldnt be welded like that
and those measurements will definatly help when i go to look at them!

thanks!

I just looked at mine and no it is not welded like that. Some one may have been trying to repair it for the throw out bearing surface. Not sure why, but definately not factory welded like that. I am wondering if whoever repaired it kept the inner seal area in tact?

Kind regards,

Rich

There's been more than one of us had the nose snap off the retainer. These are really a pretty thin piece "back there" at the transition to the big part of the retainer. I've broken one out of 5 Mopars in my life. Then again, I'm old

-
Back