need someone familiar with dana 60 front and rear

-

waggin

moving on ain't easy if you drive a Ford :p
Reaction score
need to talk with someone about dana 60 front and rear ends truck stuff for a project, kinda wierd scinece but really you guys have seen some of the stuff I build so you probably have some faith that my questions wont waste your time

Hmmmmm;Whip it on us Waggin-is this some kind of frankenstein ride?

yes, for Waggin II rear engine, 440 with auto to 205 divorced transfer case,then to dana 60 mounted with pinion facing rear of the car/transfer case.(((((THE QUESTION>>>> need to know if the ring and pinion from a truck dana 60 front axel will bolt into the dana 60 so the rotation will work properly, and if so i'm gonna need a ring and pinion 3:54 to 3:73's Thank's for any help on this matter
Hmmmmm;Whip it on us Waggin-is this some kind of frankenstein ride?

are you saying you are using a front axle in the rear as a pusher now...

hard to figure what you are exactly doing.

just need to know if the ring and pinion from a front axel(4wd) will go into a rear housing, to make this work I have to install the rear axel housing with the pinion facing the rear end of the car (to mate it to the transfer case)and the rotation will be incorrect unless I want one wheelie gear and three reverse speeds so i need a ring and pinion for a front axel to go into a rear axel, have been told by many this'll never work, been told I need a funny car coupler at first by someone with knowledge till i ran the idea of the front axel ring and pinion set by him then it was a diffrent tune so now I need anyone with the parts in hand or the knowledge befor I sink all my $$ into it,this is not just a few drawings on paper, I have the car,the engine,trans and converter,transfer case, and am going to need a posi for a dana 60 rearend and a ring and pinion for a dana 60 front axel, from there I have the welder,the rollcage tubing bender,a set of pro gas frame rails lightweight front suspension parts and the desire to do this, "Hemi under glass" started out as a drawing on a napkin in a coffee shop....
are you saying you are using a front axle in the rear as a pusher now...

hard to figure what you are exactly doing.

Attachments

• waggin II concept 001.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 148
  • waggin II concept 002.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 138
  • waggin II concept 003.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 164
  • waggin II concept 004.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 128
  • waggin II concept 005.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 130
  • waggin II concept 006.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 164
Wagon funny you asked this question. I thought the front and rear 60's had different ring and pinions. I just took two apart left over from that diesel build. To my surprize both ring and pinions had the same PN and were identical 410's. What I did find out is the front was 35 spline and the rear was 30 spline axles. again ring and pinions the same even though the front spun in the opposite dirrection. I still have both sets if you would like pics. Steve

steve thank You, That is the information I needed,does it appear a posi from the front axel will work in the rear housing also? can you call me? i'll pm you my # interested in the front ring and pinion and sure grip,I'm pretty sure mine has a spool but havent pulled it down I have strange axels and need to check spline hopefully I have the stronger 35 spline ones
Wagon funny you asked this question. I thought the front and rear 60's had different ring and pinions. I just took two apart left over from that diesel build. To my surprize both ring and pinions had the same PN and were identical 410's. What I did find out is the front was 35 spline and the rear was 30 spline axles. again ring and pinions the same even though the front spun in the opposite dirrection. I still have both sets if you would like pics. Steve

love the pics Waggs, here are a couple more for inspiration...the wagon isnt a wheel stander but some cool pics anyways...

Attachments

• pq11.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 124
  • do14.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 127
  • ad24.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 132
  • ad23.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 129
  • ad22.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 104
  • xs22.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 117
  • ap36.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 111
  • ap34.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 130
  • ap33.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 131
  • ap31.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 122
Ok where are the pic's????? yer a jerk promise me pic's and nuthin.....Lol :)
love the pics Waggs, here are a couple more for inspiration...the wagon isnt a wheel stander but some cool pics anyways...

ok yer not a jerk now that ya stopped teasin about pic's, so now ya'll probably figured out why I'm sellin of so much stuff,ya'll are kinda "sponsoring me"
Ok where are the pic's????? yer a jerk promise me pic's and nuthin.....Lol :)

i thought i had some pics of the actual engineering of the rear mounted hemis, but i cant find them now. from every thing i have seen and read, the ring and pinion can be used in the front or rear of a dana 60 housing with the correct axles, but i cant promise anything...

no way, rear wheelwells are in the wrong place, cotton picker the rear wheels were further to the rear of the car, neet pic's thank's for postin em...
the blue wagon is supposedly the real "cottonpicker" with 66 metal on the front

here are some more

Attachments

• ladart1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 112
  • ladart.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 119
  • lad4.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 130
  • lad3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 111
  • lad2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 110
  • lad1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 123
  • lad5.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 130
that would be neat to see that drawing on the napkin!!!! so far I am told mounting everything solid is the best way to go but i'm gonna look for more opinions although i'm leaning towards solid mounting, I'm definately gitting some inspiration and feelin this happing now, it's been gathering parts and stuff like that for a while and gitting time to break out the tool's
i thought i had some pics of the actual engineering of the rear mounted hemis, but i cant find them now. from every thing i have seen and read, the ring and pinion can be used in the front or rear of a dana 60 housing with the correct axles, but i cant promise anything...

i love this one.... these things were making insane horsepower, it takes some big balls to run these on two wheels

Attachments

• lad6.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 126
I could still do this without the truck ring and pinion if i do it la dart style, wasnt what I had in mind that's why the questions, was wanting it more concealed but maybe can pull that off too I wont be running for high speed 1/4 mile times exhibition only

a couple more....

Attachments

• lad8.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 112
  • lad9.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 126
  • lad10.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 118
I could still do this without the truck ring and pinion if i do it la dart style, wasnt what I had in mind that's why the questions, was wanting it more concealed but maybe can pull that off too I wont be running for high speed 1/4 mile times exhibition only

to this day , i have never seen a wagon done up in a wheelstander, i think that would just be the coolest thing. time to get'r'dun LOL, now , go build something !!!

nope i'll have to have a truck front ring and pinion no matter if i go mid or rear mounted engine

i'm seeing stock k frame and suspension parts in some of them......i like that idea :)

i like the whole straight axle idea, but i love the gasser look too, as well as the 70s street machines....that the stuff i grew up with lol . thats what inspired the whole gasser thread and nostalgia thread...

-
Back