Need someone to educate me on 5.7's

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
ive had literally hundreds of Mopar's over the last 40 years and have built numerous motors but I've never fooled with a 5.7. I have one laying in my garage out of a Chrysler 300 that I bought as a core and I'm trying to figure out if I want to build it or just let it go. I was wondering about the 392 kits that Indy sells, do they fit in a regular 5.7 block or does it take something different? Also what would be the best thing to do if rebuilding it as a performance motor? Pistons? Cam? What's a good basic build? Also, does an automatic off of a 4.7 interchange with the 5.7?

Call Indy!

I think the trans flanges are the same as small block on both

Calling Indy just never turns out being a good experience. To say that their customer relations is lacking might be the understatement of the century.

Chuck,

A few things,

what yr 5.7 do you have?
If you're not sure, post a pic, we can sort it out from there. Different years have changes in heads and cams that make the answers a bit different.

Next, what is your goal by saying "performance motor" are you talking 400hp, 500hp, 600hp?

I have a 2005/2006 car hemi with a cam and headers and it made 340 HP at the wheels on the Dyno. So that would be 400-425 at the crank with just a cam swap really. It's a pretty stout street cruiser in my opinion. Guys make big power with a bit more compression or a stroker kit. They love boost too, it just depends what your looking for.

What's your goals really, if it's a street cruiser I say build it up with factory parts just upgrade cam and springs, mill heads maybe and run! The heads pretty flow well in stock form.

If your a racer the sky's the limit.

Here's some photos of it.

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

That looks like a early car motor. 03-05, same one I have I just upgraded to later valvecovers and coils for looks.

That should help with looking at parts and kits. The early motors were known for valve train issues, so you'd need to beef that stuff up when you build. Also it's pretty likely that your motor has MDS (multiple cylinder displacement) lifters, so you'd want to upgrade to 6.1 lifters and MDS selonoid plugs with some size cam swaps. Usually can makers will tell you if that's the case. Small to med sized cams you can leave them in.

Do you know the history of the motor, or why it was pulled? That may help decide how much "work" you do...

Joe

Bought as a core, I believe it was probably removed from a wreck because it still has all the wiring on top. Probably would have been reused if it was a swap out. Trying to determine the feasibility of using this thing since all of the parts are so expensive. I have several 408's that make more horsepower but I think to get this thing up to 500 or more horsepower you would be up in the $10,000 + range at which point I can build a 572 Hemi and make a lot more power for a few dollars more. Maybe just do a mild rebuild and keep it in case the one in my daughters Challenger takes a dump or stick it in a truck body. I might just take it to Indy this weekend and try to get rid of it.

Yeah, valid concern. Although I don't think you spend too much more on the actual hard parts and machine work. If you have all the stuff to make a 408 fit and run, it seems like a no brainer if your goal isn't EFI and modern tech... the parts to install add up quick, and that's the part that would hurt the wallet the most

gen3 is no different today than any other engine combo to build. ditch the heads and get a newer eagle set of heads for 400ish a set complete. rockers are the same so they can be used if the newer eagle heads don't come on them.

you can buy drop in rods n pistons for the 5.7 if your staying normally aspirated otherwise get a stroker kit and machine work. valve spring kit and a cam shaft will set you 900ish. cant see why 6k would not get you close to running and 500hp with ease.
the eagle heads require the newer valve covers and coils. both can be had for a few hundred or so. look better and the eagle heas flow [email protected] stock anf the heads you have flow [email protected] and have valve drop issues. eagles will bump the stock short block you have compression wise pretty high above 11:1+. but if you get pistons you can get them for the eagles heads. same motor just different combustion and intake openings. your heads have 83cc and eagles are 65cc combustion chambers.

forgot 6.1 roller lifters to eliminate the mds are findable for reasonable amount. ive got a set forsale for 150 low mileage even.
hope this gives you an idea. any questions just let us know.

Yeah, when I start looking at prices on oil pans and motor mounts and headers and wiring/computer to put them in an older car it looks like it adds up pretty quick. I'll have to look up some of the parts you guys suggested and start shopping around for some of the other stuff. I would love to put this in my 39 Plymouth.

-
Back