Need Steering Column Help 70 Duster

-

70DusterBob

Reaction score
My steering wheel feels rough but only once in a while. It makes like a popping noise sort of, not a grind or seize, but I don't feel safe driving it. One member suggested adjusting the column but loosening the fire wall bolts, but I have no idea what he meant by an adjustment or how to do it, and he is not online at this time.

The rough turning of the wheel is in different locations at different times, other times it is smooth for maybe 3-5 turns.

Any help or advice is badly needed and greatly appreciated. Willing to buy rebuilt or used column if it needs it, just need to know where to get one.

Hello Bob. If you don’t have one get a manual here

Free service manuals

There is a small roller bearing in the top part of the column. To get to it you have to disassemble most of the column. Mine had all kinds of crud in the bearing when I tore it down to redo it. It could also be in the “joint” where the column attaches to the steering box. Also I’d verify the steering box isn’t loose where it attaches to the k frame. There are two plates at the firewall one has three bolts attaching it to the fire wall and the other has two bolts that attach it to the one on the fire wall from the passenger compartment. The column has three attach points that attach it to the dash. These are slotted to allow the column to slide forward and back. This allows you to set the engagement of the joint at the steering box which has a dimension called out in the manual. I don’t remember what it is but if it’s engaged too far it can bind and not far enough it can separate.

Free service manuals

There is a small roller bearing in the top part of the column. To get to it you have to disassemble most of the column. Mine had all kinds of crud in the bearing when I tore it down to redo it. It could also be in the “joint” where the column attaches to the steering box. Also I’d verify the steering box isn’t loose where it attaches to the k frame. There are two plates at the firewall one has three bolts attaching it to the fire wall and the other has two bolts that attach it to the one on the fire wall from the passenger compartment. The column has three attach points that attach it to the dash. These are slotted to allow the column to slide forward and back. This allows you to set the engagement of the joint at the steering box which has a dimension called out in the manual. I don’t remember what it is but if it’s engaged too far it can bind and not far enough it can separate.

Free service manuals

Thanks Bob,

I appreciate the link to the manual. I can do all kinds of things with it now.

It may be that adjustment between the coupler and the shaft. I will check that out asap. I can't really rebuild the entire thing. I have no idea where to get all the parts for one thing, but I am too busy with other things to devote hours at a time to do it. I will also check the tightness of the bolts at the gear box to K frame. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I remember that plate has slotted holes in it. I will try to adjust it. The dim is 13/16".

Thanks again.

Thanks Bob,

I appreciate the link to the manual. I can do all kinds of things with it now.

It may be that adjustment between the coupler and the shaft. I will check that out asap. I can't really rebuild the entire thing. I have no idea where to get all the parts for one thing, but I am too busy with other things to devote hours at a time to do it. I will also check the tightness of the bolts at the gear box to K frame. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I remember that plate has slotted holes in it. I will try to adjust it. The dim is 13/16".

Thanks again.

Got the shaft adjusted to 1". It won't got any further for some reason, don't want to bang on it, but problem solved, thanks!!

-
Back