Need steering wheel help!

-

2doorswinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, having issues with out steering wheel. We have a 3 spoke wheel with a full horn ring. I can't figure out for the life of me how the ring gets attached to the steering wheel to operate the horn. Any help would be appreciated!

What kind of vehicle, tractor, school bus, Fury? Don't meant to be a smart a$$ but the more info provided the more help you will get...pictures are even better

It's an 1821 blown big block hetmi alcohol chevy r/t school bus LOL. But in all seriousness, it's a 1969 dart swinger. Steering wheel is the same one pictured

Wheel

20160517_153945.jpg

Can u post a pic of the back of the horn ring and front of the wheel without the horn ring on it? My dart has just a horn button(no ring) but looks similar to the center part of your ring, if I remember, I had to push against a spring and turn it clockwise to lock in place.

Sorry for doubling the pic, anyway on mine u can see the metal tabs on the horn button coincide with the aluminum fingers on the wheel place it down off set counterclockwise just a hair, push down and rotate clockwise into position. Easy peasy Japanesey!

To remove the horn ring you simply remove the center emblem to find a bolt. Remove this bolt and it will fall off
in your hand

Sorry, thought the issue was reinstalling the horn ring, and yes, I guess they're not the same.

Unfortunately, I can see how a singular, center nut would work on this application. Any other ideas? I know it has to do with this 3 threaded mounting holes on the wheel adapter, but I just can picture how it would work.

20160615_095259.jpg

20160615_095309.jpg

Your missing the piece that screws to the three holes and has a center hole for the single bolt. I will get you some pics of the set up.

Here is some pics. If you have a welder this piece would be
Easy to fabricate.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If you don't have that part or can't find one I would be glad to duplicate my original one for you.

That's great Scott! Does it just attach by the one center nut? I'm assuming 3 bolts screw int the center hub adapter, then a bolt goes through the horn ring, into this second adapter plate?

Yep the round plate is screwed to the horn adapter with three screws then the horn ring is attached with one bolt.

-
Back