need suggestion?

-

7dart0

Reaction score
im buying a magnum 360 with the intention to just drop it in the dart. guy doesnt know too much but it has a rpm intake, mechanical fuel pump with la style timing cover, kevko oil pan. and said the guy he got it from put a different cam and timing set in it.

he said its been sitting with a bag over it in his garage. he said it turns over with a breaker bar and socket. what should i look for and should i crack it open to check bearings or can i leave it be and drop it in with an engine prime to verify oil pressure.

need some suggestions on how to approach this

tom

Engines like this are always a "crap shoot". First off, just make sure you only pay a modest amount for it. After that, yes I'd crack it open to make sure what you really bought and the condition? On deals like this, I always planned on the worst...and paid accordingly.

you think just pull the oil pan and check each rod and main bearing and if they look ok just torque them back down. i would prefer not to pull the heads. maybe unbolt the intake and check the valley and see if there is anything foreign.

Checking for "stuff" inside and the bearings is always a good thing. One of the big pluses with the Magnum is usually the lack of bore wear. I'm not a educated Magnum guy, but word is the stock heads can be prone to cracks after some miles.

I want some others more familiar with them to confirm that though...

I'd def pull the pan and check for any excessive play in the bearings and pull the intake and valve covers for a check-up.
Also make sure its a 5.9l, if that's what you want.
-Casting #'s Drivers side above the oil pan xxxx-360 is what you should see.
-Also drivers side behind the PS pump/bracket you'll find and engine pad that's stamped with a series of #' and 360
-harmonic balancer will have a large flat spot/notch machined out of it.

-
Back