Need Tips on Buying a Car

-

APK

Reaction score
My dream is to purchase a 70-72 Dart Swinger and have been searching the web for a few years to see what were available and the price. Most are not close to me, so a long distance transaction would have to occur.

How is the best way to pay for a car so that the seller and me the buyer would have a smooth transaction with neither concerned about getting taken? How is the best way to get the car transported to me?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

The only way i would ever buy a car off the net is to go look at it in person and make the transaction face to face. That way you can look over every aspect of the car and get an accurate assessment of the car according to your standards. While you may not find a rare or specific car close enough to your area to actually go look at, your preference for 70-72 Swingers should allow a few examples close enough to you to drive to and look at. I personally would take my truck and trailer to bring one home so I could do the deal myself, but you could also pack a toolbox and a couple extra parts and have a friend follow you home if you didn't have access to a trailer. Now if it's a project and doesn't run,. a trailer is a must. In either event, buy the best example you can find, be patient and search for the the car you would be happiest with. Spend every dollar you can afford to get the best available car within your budget, and unless you want to spend many more $$$ and time before you can actually enjoy driving one, pass on the total resto candidate. And above all, try to buy from an FABO member, there are lots of good people here and lots of nice examples of your car of choice. Good luck with your search, you should be able to come up with a nice candidate, Geof

I was not particular about the car I wound up with (late duster). I intentionally chose to make a long distance transaction because I don't live in a dry state. I had a party at the other end inspect the car, and represent me in the transaction. No, the car wasn't exactly as I thought it would be upon arrival (it was actually better in most aspects, except for a leak that WAS disclosed before shipping, but unnoticed prior to the transaction). While I still consider this "sight unseen" it takes much of the risk and unknown out of the equation. As for payment, that's up to you. My inspector fronted the money (this was only a $2500 car) and had my stockbroker send a check in his name. Western Union is synonymous with fraud, so if the seller insists on that, a red flag should go up.

I had a great experience with my long distance transaction, but I would not do it again without a representative, or going in person.

Yeah, a lot of the sight un-seen deals can bite you in da-azz... Most sellers over rate their cars... I got a super sweet deal on my 66-Valiant because the floor repairs were way over the guys head after he had started to restore it so he sold it, he really didn't lie about it needing "some floorboard work" he just didn't tell the exact extent... 95% floorboard replacement is a pretty bad floorboard.. But, I've almost got it rebuilt and its a heck of a lot stonger than any factory 66 spot welded floorboard.. I'd rather do any and all repairs myself as to have to fix someone elses gomm.... It depends on your personal skills working on a car when you are looking for a car.. I'd much rather start with a virgin car with the factory faded paint as to take a chance on it having 43-pounds of bondo under shinny paint job..

-
Back