Need to buy tires front barracuda 1968 - w/ disc brakes conversion

-

bryan Schaupp

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Please let me know what exact tire and wheels you are running on your barracuda's 67-69 if you have disc brake conversions. I see so much conflicting information and I would like to get tires on my rims. I have 15x7 with 4-1/4 BS on the rims. It looks like my safest bet would be 215/60/15 but unable to find RWL tires other than Radial TA which are pretty high priced. I like cooper cobras and have used them number of times but the closest tire that I con find is 215/65/15 - which might work but I would be lot happier if I knew someone has tried with good luck.

I am getting some 15x6 torque thrust style rims also but it appears with 3-1/4 backspacing the same corner of the tire rubbing would still be factor.

Any experience you can share will be appreciated.

Thanks,

BRyan

I have an SSBC disc brake conversion on my 69 cuda. It had 14 x 5.5 rally wheels with 215 70 14 on the front when I got it. I bought 15 x 6 cragars 3 3/8 back space, I think. I am running 195 60 15 on the front now. Wish I would have went one size larger.

A 215/65/15 will be 26" tall, which could cause issues with the front lower corner of the wheel opening. That's a pretty common issue with the Barracuda's the wheel opening is pretty tight. You'd honestly be better off with a 225/60/15, but it doesn't look like the Cobra's come in that size anymore.

What disk brake conversion do you have? The track width/backspace will make a difference.

Douglas 205.65.15

upload_2019-4-21_14-11-19.jpeg

upload_2019-4-21_14-11-44.jpeg

A 215/65/15 will be 26" tall, which could cause issues with the front lower corner of the wheel opening. That's a pretty common issue with the Barracuda's the wheel opening is pretty tight. You'd honestly be better off with a 225/60/15, but it doesn't look like the Cobra's come in that size anymore.

What disk brake conversion do you have? The track width/backspace will make a difference.
It is I think newer calipers. they are the one with pins and one big piston. bought them with bunch of parts and were in good shape. came with tubular A arms so pretty much everything - though they were used

It is I think newer calipers. they are the one with pins and one big piston. bought them with bunch of parts and were in good shape. came with tubular A arms so pretty much everything - though they were used

Single piston calipers with pins are definitely a big bolt pattern set up, and work with the 73+ spindles. The pin style were typically B/E body calipers, although some of the FMJ car models had them as well. Those are the larger 2.75” piston calipers too, little extra stopping power compared to the ‘73-75 A body calipers that had 2.6” calipers.

Anyway, for rims and tires that means you have the later 73+ track width. So with a 15x7 and 4.25” of backspace a 225/60/15 is about as wide as you can go. I’m not a Barracuda guy specifically, but I would be cautious with the 215/65/15. The wider track will put those wheels pretty far out, so that lower front corner could be an issue with those being 26” tall.

Single piston calipers with pins are definitely a big bolt pattern set up, and work with the 73+ spindles. The pin style were typically B/E body calipers, although some of the FMJ car models had them as well. Those are the larger 2.75” piston calipers too, little extra stopping power compared to the ‘73-75 A body calipers that had 2.6” calipers.

Anyway, for rims and tires that means you have the later 73+ track width. So with a 15x7 and 4.25” of backspace a 225/60/15 is about as wide as you can go. I’m not a Barracuda guy specifically, but I would be cautious with the 215/65/15. The wider track will put those wheels pretty far out, so that lower front corner could be an issue with those being 26” tall.

15X5 1/2" PROSTARS W/ 205 70 15 HANKOOKS------WILLWOOD DISCS

What about adjustment on the torsion bars?

I f ur refering to me , I aint got no torsion bars ! Can barley get a floor jack under it now . That's the only thing stopping me from getting a ''spoiler by Randy" for it now ----

-
Back