Need to find someone to install 65 trans parking cable

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I got a replacement used parking cable to replace my broken one on my 65 Valiant 170 with 904 columnd shift transmission. It wasn't going into park and on top of that I didn't have a parking brake that worked. So I need to get the parking cable working. I cannot figure out the science of the way this cable works actually just installing correctly. I see that when you put the shifter in park the cable pulls the parking pawl in the transmission. But I have the 65 service manual and still have no idea how to properly install the cable. I checked some website on cable adjustments but all the help was for console shift so it wasn't the same. I need some help from someone who has specifically done this. If I had working park I would be good until I can go through the brakes. Right now I've got blocks in front of the wheels.

sorry colum shift maybe you need to adjust the linkage to get park if you unhook your linkage can you get park manually

your probbly going to have to change it yourself so, read the manual again so you can understand what their saying. pull the boot down from the colum and look how the cable is attached. un hook and pull it out. at the tranny end, loosen the pinch bolt nut, but dont take it off. you may have to tap the nut slightly to let the cable move in and out freely. dont hit it to hard because it will bend. then at the bottom of the cable housing there is an allen head plug, remove it. be aware that oil will pore out. then use the allen wrench to carefull push up in the hole. theres a spring thingy in there that holds the cable end. then pull the cable out. be gentle, it will come out if your doing it right. to install the new cable do every thing in reverse and when you get that far, let me know and ill tell you how to adjust it.

Yeah I'm able to get it out. I've got the old one out and ready to install the new parking cable. Since I broke the old one I have to reinstall it on the steering column gearbox too. Should I connect to the steering column first or the transmission? The problem is because the cable goes through the cover I can't tell how to hook it up. There is a small hole on the parking pawl arm. Does the end of the cable spring hook into there? Last time I tried to hook the spring around the pawl and then reinstall the cover. I can't do it with the cover on because I can't see it.

ok, i called up one of my guys who just happened to be checking out another '65 with no park awhile back. hmmm. anyways, he said that the worst part was trying to work around the boot. you have to push it up( towards the firewall ) like a sleeve and have something to hold it up. then you can see how the cable attachtes. sounds to easy dosnt it? antways, check it out and let me know. oh, where the cables go thru the boot, its like a slot or slit. it just slides over.

Yeah where the cable mounts to the steering column there's a boot. That wasn't a big deal to get around. I had the whole steering column out for a reseal and repaint so everything came off. I followed the 65 service manual instructions for reassembly and it went together fairly simple. What I'm having problems with is installing the cable in the transmission. The parking cable goes to the back through a separate aluminum cover. That's what I don't know how to install properly because the cable has to go through the cover and somehow hook on the parking pawl but you can't see this while you're doing it. I'll have to get a picture of it but there's a spring that I think goes through a tiny hole in the parking pawl. But I'm not sure. I just want to know is there an adjustment that needs to be performed on the parking cable once it's installed. Eventhough the shifter went into park when I had it installed the car could still be pushed.

ok, once you have the cable pushed into that little housing, you need a buddy for the next step. have your buddy sit in the car and hold the shifter half way between park and reverse. then while turning the driveshaft with one hand move the cable in or out untill you can hear the park pawl ratchet. you dont want it to lock just yet, but just about, tighten the clamp bolt, put the shifter in park and it should lock. thats all. good luck.

Ok thats the next hard step. I can get under enough to slide the cable in but it's outside at a house with a dirt driveway so kinda hard to jack it up. I will have to wait until a friend can help me out one day. I'll try that last post out and see what happens.

I installed the park cable today because I finally had time off. The hardest part was getting it through the steering column gearbox. I tried it the way zijmer posted and it didn't work out quite that way but close to it. I had it halfway between Park and Reverse on the selector and I moved the driveshaft with my hand and could hear the pawl clicking. So I put the lock bolt in and tightened it down. The only problem is the lock bolt thing actually came all the way out. So I put in and tightened it as much I could but it was spinning. It's seems like the bolt will hold now. So then I put the lever in all gears and turned the wheels with my hand and they all turned and then when I put it in Park they wouldn't turn. So I guess that's it right? I just have to go reinstall the remaining cover bolts and fill it up. I noticed the e-brake cable was tight rubbing the driveshaft and I remembered the rear automatic adjusted cable was broken on one of the wheels inside the drum so I need to fix that. So if the wheels won't turn with the lever in Park is that parking cable adjusted?

-
Back