Need to make final decision on mufflers..

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I finally ordered the TTI system and went with a 2.5" sysytem. I did this because the header collectors are 2.5". Car currently had a poorly done system with slowmasters on it and the interior resonance is annoying. Also the welds on the slowmasters are rusting.

These 3 muffler types I have narrowed it down to are all dynomax. The Walker Ultraflow SS, Dynomax VT or the Ultraflow welded.

What I want in order or importance is least interior resonance and most performance. I do not care at all about outside noise.

Gentlemen, begin....​

I have the Dynomax Ultraflow welded mufflers and I love them. No Flowmaster drone. Check out the video on Page 2 of my build thread (below) if you want to hear them on my 340.

I also have an x-pipe in my 2.5" Pypes exhaust system.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73SwingerBuild
I also have an x-pipe in my 2.5" Pypes exhaust system.

-Mike
Unfortunatly due to my GV Overdrive I have to go with the H pipe.

Its a Y pipe for me. X pipes make double the HP over the H .So I figure That having a Y would be the same power as an H with half the cost of an X.

And that is because I would only need one muffler. One hanger. One tip . And half of the clamps.

I have 3" flow 40's into dumps and they were kinda raspy. I added 8" long 3" cherrybombs in front of the flowmasters and the sound mellowed out nicely. I really like the way the car sounds now. Kinda loud but it is a hotrod after all.

I have a pair of XL Performance and a pair of Magnaflows- two separate cars. XL nice, Magnaflow drones @ about 2400 RPM on my 3.8 supercharged motor

I finally ordered the TTI system and went with a 2.5" sysytem. I did this because the header collectors are 2.5". Car currently had a poorly done system with slowmasters on it and the interior resonance is annoying. Also the welds on the slowmasters are rusting.

These 3 muffler types I have narrowed it down to are all dynomax. The Walker Ultraflow SS, Dynomax VT or the Ultraflow welded.

What I want in order or importance is least interior resonance and most performance. I do not care at all about outside noise.

Gentlemen, begin....​
power wise id think they would all be about the same.the ultraflow ss (non welded) would be my pick if you want "quiet".they are all straight tru mufflers with the same packing material,so exhaust note should also be similar.personally i dont like moving parts in a muffler like the vt.

power wise id think they would all be about the same.the ultraflow ss (non welded) would be my pick if you want "quiet".they are all straight tru mufflers with the same packing material,so exhaust note should also be similar.personally i dont like moving parts in a muffler like the vt.

The moving parts scare me as well with the heat, heat cycles and constant use it will see.

What makes the non welded quieter than the welded?

you can get the non welded in a longer case.the down side is the non welded case is thinner and they are more money last time i looked.

Rocco, there is more packing in the non-welded and that by itself helps a lot.
Tom

Stay away from the VT if you have a large cam. On the first set that I bought, the valve would clank open and shut at idle due to the large exhaust pulse. They warrantied them and sent a set that was supposed to have a stiffer spring but they did the same thing. I gave up and welded the valve open.

-
Back