Need to Re-locate Factory Parking Brake Cable Guide/Bracket

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I am in the process of changing over the '65 Formula S parking brake set-up to the later style with the main cable not crossing over to the passenger side. I need to remove and re-attach one of the guides but I am not exactly sure how to remove it without destroying it in the process.

If I drill inside of each of the two "indentions" will it fall off? I'm not a welder, so just by looking at it I can't tell what holds it on to the underbody. I think the spongy looking stuff in probably leftover undercoating. Thank you.

cable guide 1.JPG

cable guide 2.JPG

It's hard to tell, but it looks like it has multiple spot welds. What does the top look like? The spot welds are probably more evident up top.

upload_2021-4-23_14-16-18.png

Looks like 4 or 5 spot welds. Drill them out from the top (or use a spot weld cutter), then weld them back up. Piece of cake!

Then just drill a few 5/16"-ish holes in the floor pan where you want to relocate it to. Maybe use a jack and a block of wood (or a screw, tack weld, etc.) to position the bracket and weld it in from the top through the holes using rosette welds.

That's how I'd tackle it.

It looks like to me like to the very, very edges of the molten slag about 1/2 inch. However, just the round pre-drilled holes are smaller, about 3/8 inch.

Last edited:
It may be that the factory made four welds inside and two more welds from below. Like I said earlier, not trained to interpret these clues. I see four equidistant round holes filled in, but between them I also see some signs of welds in two other places.

parking brake welds.JPG

-
Back