need to vent

-

ellococt

Reaction score
So i was suppose to get my car friday with the rebuilt slant and transmission everything hooked up and ready to go i get there WOO my cars ready i take it for a test drive halfway through the block i hear the car dying (not getting any fuel or air) so i drive it right back we look at it and we diagnose its the carb so i bought a new carb today hooked it up started the car and Great it runs good so i drive it home park it decide i want to show it off to my buddy so i go to the car to drive it to his house and nothing.... the car just trys to start but it wont turn over the starters working (brand new) it has gas, new fuel pump, new carb what can be going F@#ing wrong here sorry for the language ive just been waiting a long time and couldnt even drive it down the block again so its just sitting there again =/

well start checking it for spark,fuel pump squirt,and if the distributor is spinning,slanty's have a plastic gear that can give up at any time.then have your people get with our people and we go from there .............

Sorry to here that. Trouble shooting stuff like this can be a pain in the butt. Check out the things Waggin said and get back to us.

Did you not make it out to Fall Fling?

Could this be another failing coil, I have been there.:angry7: works for a couple minute and quits
Spin it over allot and see how good the spark is and keeps a steady good spark.
Vent away 8) Can you see gas squirting in the carb, and don't flood it, That can foul the plugs, Keep us updated. take a deep breath and stay at it.

well start checking it for spark - we have spark
fuel pump squirt- good squirt in carb
and if the distributor is spinning,slanty's have a plastic gear that can give up at any time.then have your people get with our people and we go from there - How do i check this?

ok so i tried to start it bout 10 mins ago and wala! first turn, it turned on i took it around the block and i noticed that sometimes when i accelerate it kind of hesitates lets say i press on the gas pedal and i feel sort of a kick from the car as if i was pressing on the pedal at full throttle could this be a spring related problem? or throttle cable perhaps?

Sorry to here that. Trouble shooting stuff like this can be a pain in the butt. Check out the things Waggin said and get back to us.

Did you not make it out to Fall Fling?

sure is :angry7:

No i had to work i told my dad to go but he had some things to take care of ill be there next year without a doubt hopefully with my scamp :cheers:

sure is :angry7:

No i had to work i told my dad to go but he had some things to take care of ill be there next year without a doubt hopefully with my scamp :cheers:

That would be cool. I am going to try to be there both days again for the Spring Fling. Mabby I will see you there and check out your car.

As for your proublem? Very strange. Whats the timing set to?

Not more than a week

Well that's certainly not the problem. have you checked the fuel filter? If there is eveidence of rust, you may have rust in the tank that's clogging the fuel pickup sock. Next time it doesn't start, pour a little bit of gas down the carb. If it starts and dies again, you have a fuel delivery problem, if it still won't start it's most likely a spark or ignition timing problem.

Was the tank dropped out of it for any reason? If so crawl up under it and make sure that the small piece of rubber hose between the tank and the hard line that runs to the front, is not kinked shut. If so use a 12-16" piece of hose and make a loop. Put a clear fuel filter under the hood so you can see the fuel level.
Small Block

How can I check for rust? Is it a certain color on the filter or a sign of it? I looked for a fuel filter and could not find one could this be a problem? I followed the fuel line all the way to the tank it looks normal but no filter. I will try starting it tommorow and do what u said to troubleshoot it. Thx for your help everyone

Well that's certainly not the problem. have you checked the fuel filter? If there is eveidence of rust, you may have rust in the tank that's clogging the fuel pickup sock. Next time it doesn't start, pour a little bit of gas down the carb. If it starts and dies again, you have a fuel delivery problem, if it still won't start it's most likely a spark or ignition timing problem.

It wasn't dropped as far as I know but I will certainly check this out for anythings a possibility right now lol

Was the tank dropped out of it for any reason? If so crawl up under it and make sure that the small piece of rubber hose between the tank and the hard line that runs to the front, is not kinked shut. If so use a 12-16" piece of hose and make a loop. Put a clear fuel filter under the hood so you can see the fuel level.
Small Block

How can I check for rust? Is it a certain color on the filter or a sign of it? I looked for a fuel filter and could not find one could this be a problem? I followed the fuel line all the way to the tank it looks normal but no filter. I will try starting it tommorow and do what u said to troubleshoot it. Thx for your help everyone

You'll want a fuel filter on the car!! Any debris in the tank is getting into the carb and plugging things up! As for the rough running (if after putting on a filter its still there), is there a vacuum leak somewhere?

Try pulling the gas cap off too and see if starts then. If the tank or cap is not properly vented it will create a vacuum and fuel flow stops. You may truly "need to vent", lol.

coil possibly, also make sure it's not running too rich and drowning the plugs. Pull a plug and see if it's wet after you try to start it a bit.

Sure sounds like a coil though.

-
Back